Woodville Road and Guildford Road intersection Guildford
Roads and Maritime Services is providing extra traffic lanes and a pedestrian crossing at the intersection of Woodville Road and Guildford Road to improve traffic flow and safety.
Vehicles travelling on Guildford Road through the intersection of Woodville Road are delayed by vehicles waiting to turn left or right and occupying both lanes. This causes long delays on both roads.
Several accidents have occurred at the intersection due to the minimal sight distance for vehicles turning right out of Guildford Road.
The project will:
- Increase travel throughput for Woodville Road and Guildford Road
- Reduce delays and queue lengths on Woodville Road and Guildford Road
- Increase the safety of right turns out of Guildford Road
- Improve pedestrian access along the northern leg of the pedestrian crossing.
The project is part of the NSW Government’s $246 million Pinch Point program which aims to reduce delays, manage congestion and maintain travel times on Sydney’s main roads particularly during week day peak periods.
The project involves:
- Modifying the lane configuration on the Guildford Road approaches to Woodville Road so that:
- The kerb lane is made into a dedicated left turn lane
- Lane two is made into a dedicated through lane
- A dedicated 60-70 metre right-turn lane is provided by reducing the lane width of the existing two lanes and narrowing the departure lanes into a single departure lane
- Providing a fourth pedestrian crossing across the northern approach to the intersection on Woodville Road
- Removing the existing concrete medians on Guildford Road at both approaches to the Woodville Road intersection
- Resurfacing Guildford Road, either side of the centre median
- Relocating the light poles, traffic poles and traffic loops
- Adjusting kerbs and existing pedestrian crossings
- Reinstating line and arrow markings
Narrowing the departure lanes to provide an extra lane on approach to the intersection would mean the loss of about 15 parking spaces on Guildford Road
In July 2014, Roads and Maritime sought feedback from the community and stakeholders on this proposal. The Community consultation report is now available. The report identifies the comments and suggestions made by the community and our response to them. The local community will be kept informed on the progress of work throughout the project. Please email email@example.com if you would like to receive email updates.