Camp Street Bridge replacement
Roads and Maritime Services is planning to replace the Camp Street Bridge over Lake Forbes to improve safety for road users and help reduce future maintenance costs.
The community is invited to view the concept design and speak with the project team at a drop in session:
- Monday 9 October, 11am – 2pm, Forbes Shire Council
- Thursday 12 October, 4pm – 7pm, Forbes Shire Council
- Saturday 14 October, 9.30am – 12pm, Lachlan Street Forbes, outside Bernardi’s supermarket
The bridge design can also be viewed at Forbes Shire Council and Forbes Library until Thursday 30 November 2017.
An online survey has been created to gather feedback regarding the concept design. The survey will be open until Thursday 30 November 2017.
Following the display of the concept design, the community will be invited to formally comment on the proposal as part of the environmental assessment process next year.
The Camp Street Bridge was built in 1927 and is narrow, in poor condition and nearing the end of its life.
A new bridge is needed to meet current design standards and improve safety for motorists and pedestrians into the future.
A new bridge across Lake Forbes will improve safety for motorists, pedestrians and reduce future maintenance requirements.
The project involves building a new, wider bridge across Lake Forbes with wider travel lanes and pedestrian/cyclist paths.
The design includes landscaping suitable to the surrounding lakeside environment. The lamp posts from the existing bridge will be incorporated in the design to complement the town's heritage aesthetics.
- Improving road user safety through wider travel lanes, improved road approaches and pedestrian/cyclist paths across the new bridge
- Improving connections for pedestrians and cyclists between both sides of Lake Forbes
- Reduced ongoing maintenance costs
- Improved environmental outcomes by managing stormwater runoff from the road into Lake Forbes
- Retaining the lamp posts in the landscape design on the approach to bridge, to reference the past and link the bridge to the heritage aesthetic of the town
- Unique design to provide an iconic structure for the Forbes community for the future.
We are consulting with the community and key stakeholders, including Forbes Shire Council, to help finalise the concept design and prepare the environmental assessment.
The community will be invited to provide feedback on the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) next year.
We will keep the community updated as the project progresses.