Newell Highway upgrade Mungle Back Creek to Boggabilla
The Australian and NSW governments have committed funding to upgrade the Newell Highway between Mungle Back Creek and Boggabilla.
This will improve safety for motorists and reduce future maintenance requirements.
The project includes major work on 18 kilometres of new road pavement, 3.5 metre wide lanes in each direction, intersection improvements, widening of road shoulders and provision of two new overtaking lanes.
Updates and announcements
Roads and Maritime Services is inviting you to attend a community drop-in session to be held in Boggabilla on Tuesday 28 November 2017 from 5 – 7pm at the Boggabilla TAFE building, South Street Boggabilla. This is a great opportunity to learn more about the project, view the final plans and speak with our project team. Roads and Maritime is planning to invite construction tenders for the project by the end of 2017.
Roads and Maritime Services is inviting you to attend a community drop-in session to be held in Boggabilla on Tuesday 28 November 2017 from 5 – 7pm at the Boggabilla TAFE building, South Street Boggabilla. This is a great opportunity to learn more about the project, view the final plans and speak with our project team.
Roads and Maritime is planning to invite construction tenders for the project by the end of 2017.
- Increase travel reliability between Mungle Back Creek and Boggabilla
- Reduce travel times and the cost of maintenancealong the Newell Highway
- Improve road safety for road users
- Provide a new road surface to meet the existing and future freight needs along this section of the Newell
- Improve the Newell Highway flood immunity where feasible and reasonable
- Support regional and local economic development.
The upgrade of the Newell highway between Mungle Back Creek and Boggabilla would include:
- provide a new road surface
- widen the existing highway or construct a new two lane highway adjacent to the existing highway
- provide dedicated overtaking lanes
- upgrade intersections
- improve access to private property
- provide road delineation, sign posting and roadside furniture
- upgrade drainage to improve the Newell Highway flood immunity when feasible and reasonable.
The project objectives are to:
- increase travel reliability and reduce travel times on the Newell Highway
- reduce vehicle operating costs on the Newell Highway
- reduce the costs of maintaining the Newell Highway
- improve the safety of the Newell Highway
- improve freight efficiency.
Other supporting objectives are to:
- ensure route development meets the standards required of the National Land Transport Network
- develop a proposal that contributes to the economic development of the region and improves transport efficiency on this section of the Newell Highway in terms of travel time and vehicle operating costs
- ensure that all potential impacts of the proposal on the local community are assessed and appropriate mitigation measures are developed
- ensure broad road safety objectives are met by reducing the crash rate along the Newell Highway
- ensure an adequate level of service for existing and predicted traffic volumes
- ensure route development minimises the impact on environmentally sensitive areas and that appropriate mitigation measures are included in the proposal to manage any impact
- ensure stakeholder involvement in all phases of the proposal development
- ensure compatibility of the road network and the long-term land use planning for the area.