Cancelled registration

You need to re-establish your vehicle registration if:

  • You want the new registration period to run for a full year from the date of payment. You will need to cancel your registration to do this.
  • Your registration has been cancelled by Roads and Maritime Services because it was not renewed within three months of the expiry date.
  • Roads and Maritime Services has issued a 'Notice of intention to cancel' and the matter has not been resolved.
  • The State Debt Recovery Office requests the cancellation due to an outstanding fine.

To re-register your vehicle, you will need to:

  1. Purchase a green slip.
  2. Pass a vehicle identity and safety check (previously blue slip).
  3. Go to a registry, or send an authorised representative, to re-register the vehicle.

You will need to visit a registry with:

  • Proof of your identity or if registering in the name of a business, proof that the company or organisation is a legal entity.
  • Proof of entitlement to register the vehicle.
  • Proof of your residential address in NSW.
    • NOTE: If you are registering the vehicle in the name of an organisation, proof of residential address is not required.
  • An original, receipted RMS hard copy green slip or RMS copy of the CTP policy receipt with the number plate section blank (except for trailers).
    • The period of cover must be 12 months for light vehicles.
    • Your green slip must be issued by a NSW insurance provider.
  • An identity and safety check report (previously blue slip) from an Authorised Safety Check Station. Evidence of repairs if the vehicle is a repairable write-off.
  • An engineer's certificate if the vehicle has been modified beyond the owner-certified level, or is an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV).
  • The number plates (if available).
  • A completed application for registration form.
  • Evidence of your eligibility for a pensioner or other concession if applicable.
  • A Representative's Authority if the vehicle is being registered in the name of an organisation, or if you send someone to register the vehicle for you.

    • For a company: the Director or authorised delegate must complete and sign the Representative's section on the Application for Registration form, or provide a letter of authorisation on letterhead.
    • In the case of an incorporated association: the Public Officer must sign.
    • In all cases, the authorised representative must provide proof of their identity.
  • Payment for:

  • All vehicles presented for registration (including interstate and imported vehicles) may need to be inspected by Roads and Maritime Services' Vehicle Identification and Inspection Unit (VIIU). There is an additional fee for this inspection. If your vehicle needs a VIIU inspection, you will be notified at the time of registration.