Current Safety Check fees
The maximum inspection fee for light and heavy vehicles can be found under: AIS Notice 18.
Light vehicles are inspected at an Authorised Inspection Scheme (AIS) station.
A light vehicle is:
- Any vehicle under 5 tonnes tare without power brakes (not including prime movers) including:
- Cars and light commercial vehicles up to 5 tonne tare except vehicles fitted with power operated brakes
- Motorcycles, including motorcycles with sidecars
- Light trailers or caravans with a GTM up to 2.0 tonnes without breakaway brakes
- Buses up to 2.5 tonnes tare
A heavy vehicle is inspected at a Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Scheme (HVAIS) station.
A heavy vehicle is:
- Rigid trucks 4.5 tonne GVM
- Buses over 2.5 tonnes tare
- Tow trucks
- Prime movers
- Trailers over 2 tonnes GTM (including tow truck trailers)
- Any trailer fitted with breakaway brakes
If you are not sure what type of inspection you need, phone Roads & Maritime Services on 13 22 13.