Interstate vehicles

An interstate registered vehicle may be used temporarily in NSW. The required interstate number plates and labels must be displayed.

If your vehicle is no longer temporarily in NSW, it should be registered in NSW.

Corporations must not cause, permit or allow such vehicles to be used in NSW, unless:

  • The vehicle has been owned, controlled or managed by the corporation for less than 90 days, or
  • The vehicle was outside NSW for at least 48 hours in the last 90 days, or
  • The corporation is in the vehicle lease or hire business, and the vehicle was leased or hired to the same person for the last 90 days.

Applying for NSW registration

Note: The information on this page applies to light vehicles (up to 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass), including motorcycles and trailers. For information on registering heavy vehicles, see Heavy vehicle registration.

1. Get an inspection

To register an interstate vehicle in NSW, you will need:

  • A passed Unregistered Light Vehicle Inspection Report (sometimes called a 'blue slip') from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS). You will be provided with a printed inspection report signed by the examiner, which you need to bring when you apply for registration.
  • If the vehicle has been significantly modified, or is an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV), you will also need a Compliance Certificate from a Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS) licensed certifier. See VSCCS - Q&As for more information. 

2. Get Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance

Before you can apply for NSW registration, you need to purchase CTP insurance (also called a 'green slip') for the vehicle, from a NSW CTP insurer.

The period of cover must be 12 months.

Trailers and caravans do not require CTP insurance.

Make sure you have the original receipted hard copy green slip, or the 'RMS Copy' of the CTP policy receipt.

3. Attend a registry or service centre to register the vehicle

Once you've had the required inspection(s) and got your CTP insurance, you need to go to a registry or service centre (or send your authorised representative) to apply for NSW registration.

Note: If you're not already recorded on RMS records, you will have to attend in person - you cannot send a representative.

What you'll need to bring:

  • Proof of identity. If you send a representative, they will need to bring their own proof of identity.

    • If the vehicle will be registered in the name of an organisation, you also need to provide proof that the organisation is an incorporated body, and that you are authorised to act on its behalf. 

  • Proof of your entitlement to register the vehicle.

  • Proof of your residential address in NSW.
  • Inspection report(s):
    • The Unregistered Light Vehicle Inspection Report, signed by the examiner.
    • If required, the VSCCS Compliance Certificate.
  • CTP insurance: The original receipted hard copy green slip, or the 'RMS Copy' of the CTP policy receipt (except for trailers and caravans).
  • The old number plates, if required. See the section on Interstate number plates on this page for more information.
  • A completed Application for Registration form.
    • If you send someone to register the vehicle for you, you must complete the Representative's Authority section on the application form.
    • For a company: the Director or authorised delegate must complete and sign the Representative's section on the Application for Registration form, or provide a letter of authorisation on letterhead.
    • In the case of an incorporated association: the Public Officer must sign.
    • In all cases, the authorised representative must provide proof of their identity.
  • Evidence of your eligibility for a pensioner or other concession if applicable.
  • Payment for:
    • Registration fee and vehicle tax.
    • Stamp duty.
    • NSW number plates.
    • You can use our registration calculator to work out costs for your vehicle.

Interstate number plates

When you register an interstate vehicle in NSW, RMS assigns NSW plates, and records that the interstate plates are no longer associated with the vehicle. This information is also sent to the other jurisdiction.

You will be provided with a receipt, which you may be able to take to the interstate authority in order to receive a registration refund - contact the relevant interstate authority for specific information.

The following authorities allow you to keep plates when they are no longer associated with a vehicle:

  • Queensland: All special, personalised, custom and prestige plates.
  • South Australia: Some special plates, Grand Prix, Jubilee and Numeral-only plates.
  • Victoria: All number plates.
  • Tasmania: All personalised number plates.

Western Australia, the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory do not allow you to keep plates. If your vehicle is from one of these jurisdictions, you will need to hand the plates in at the registry or service centre when you apply for NSW registration.

VIIU inspections

All vehicles (including vehicles registered in another jurisdiction or imported vehicles) may need to be inspected by the Roads and Maritime Services Vehicle Identification and Inspection Unit (VIIU). There is an additional fee for this inspection. If your vehicle needs a VIIU inspection, you will be notified at the time of registration.

Written-off vehicles

Interstate written-off vehicles may need to be inspected by the Roads and Maritime Services Vehicle Identification Inspection Unit (VIIU). There is an additional fee for a Written-off vehicle first inspection of $464.00.

If your vehicle needs a VIIU inspection, you will be notified at the time you apply for NSW registration.

VIIU inspectors require the following documents:

Further certification and other requirements may be needed before your vehicle is accepted for NSW registration.

See Written-off vehicles for more information.