Green slip - Compulsory Third Party insurance

What is a 'green slip'?

All vehicles except trailers and caravans must have Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance - a 'green slip'.

For NSW registrations, CTP insurance must be issued by a NSW CTP insurer.

CTP insurance provides cover for death and personal injury when you or the person driving your vehicle is the driver at fault in an accident, and in certain circumstances regardless of who was at fault. See the Motor Accidents Authority (MAA) website for more information.

Renewing registration

You can't renew registration until Roads and Maritime Services has confirmation that you've bought CTP insurance.

The CTP insurance period must be the same as the registration period.

CTP insurers send confirmation of your CTP insurance to Roads and Maritime Services electronically. If you pay your CTP insurance at the Post Office, a broker or agency, online transmission may have significant delays. 

Use-by date

All CTP insurance has a use-by date. The use-by date means it must be used with your registration renewal by the date specified, or it is no longer valid.

CTP insurance for six-month registration for light vehicles (up to 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass) have a use-by date of 21 days after the registration expiry date. If you don't renew by the end of 21 days, you cannot renew with the six-month option. Instead you may only renew the registration for 12 months, and a new 12-month CTP insurance will be required.

If you have any queries regarding the use-by date of your CTP insurance, you should contact your CTP insurer.

New registrations

If you need to get a new registration, for example because the previous registration is cancelled, or you're bringing a vehicle into NSW from interstate or overseas, you also need CTP insurance. In this case you'll need to bring your original hard copy green slip showing a receipt number, or the 'RMS Copy' of your CTP policy receipt to the registry or service centre when you attend to apply for the new registration.

The CTP insurance period must be the same as the registration period.

Premium prices

Premium prices vary between insurers. The Motor Accidents Authority has an online green slip calculator which you can use to compare prices.

Got your green slip and safety check?

Renew your rego online now.