Unregistered Vehicle Permits (UVPs)

An Unregistered Vehicle Permit (UVP) is valid for up to 28 days and allows you to drive or ride an unregistered vehicle on the road network for a specific journey, including:

  • A single journey from A to B.
  • A return journey from A to B to A.
  • A number of defined trips to be completed within 28 days, eg from A to B to C to D.
  • For a specific purpose over a number of days up to a maximum of 28, eg for harvesting during a defined period.

UVPs provide only limited access to the road network. They are not intended to cover the regular use of a vehicle on a road or road-related area (eg footpaths, nature strips, public driveways, public carparks etc).

A UVP must not be used as a substitute for full registration.

Vehicles carrying a commercial load and vehicles exempt from registration cannot be issued with a UVP.

UVPs are valid in all States and Territories except Western Australia.

Obtaining an Unregistered Vehicle Permit

If you're already on Roads and Maritime Services' computer system you can request a UVP by phone, provided you have access to a fax machine to forward copies of the required documents listed below and a valid credit card. Otherwise, you will need to visit a NSW registry in person, or authorise a representative to attend on your behalf.

To apply for an Unregistered Vehicle Permit (UVP), you will need to provide:

The UVP includes an administration fee and CTP insurance. However, this CTP insurance only covers you on roads or road-related areas (eg footpaths, nature strips, public driveways, public carparks etc), but not on private property.

When your application is accepted, you will be issued with a permit and a label. The permit explains the vehicle's road access entitlements and should be carried in the vehicle. The label must be displayed clearly at all times.

For more information on UVPs, please contact Roads and Maritime Services on 13 22 13.