M2 upgrade project
The Hills M2 upgrade started in January 2011 and was completed in August 2013.
The M2 upgrade involved building an extra lane in each direction between Windsor Road, Baulkham Hills and Lane Cove Road to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion for motorists.
The upgrade delivered:
- New west facing Windsor Road on and off ramps (opened July 2012)
- Additional eastbound lane from Windsor Road to Pennant Hills Road
- Additional eastbound lane from Pennant Hills Rd through M2 Tunnel to Lane Cove Road
- New Christie Road eastbound on ramp (opened January 2013)
- New Herring Road westbound off ramp (opened January 2013)
- Additional westbound lane from Beecroft Road to Pennant Hills Road
- Widened road between Lane Cove Road and Beecroft Road to reinstate the 3.5 metre traffic lanes and 2.5 metre breakdown shoulder for cyclists
- Norfolk Tunnel widened in both directions.
Additional M2 work
Additional maintenance work is being carried out to stabilise the motorways embankment next to the eastbound lanes at Marsfield, near Vimiera Road. This work commenced in September 2013 and is expected to take 20 months to complete, weather permitting.
Work to build the Lane Cove Road on-ramp commenced in November 2013 and is expected to be completed within two years, weather permitting
Until this work is completed:
- Citybound cyclists will have restricted access to the breakdown lane and will have to enter the motorway at Pennant Hills Road.
- Three general eastbound lanes will operate at a reduced speed of 80km/h from Terrys Creek Bridge to Delhi Road, North Ryde.
- The T2 lane between Terrys Creek Bridge and Lane Cove Road is expected to open once work is completed.