M2 upgrade project
The Hills M2 upgrade started in January 2011 and was completed in August 2013.
The M2 upgrade involved building an extra lane in each direction between Windsor Road, Baulkham Hills and Lane Cove Road to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion for motorists.
The upgrade delivered:
- New west facing Windsor Road on and off ramps (opened July 2012)
- Additional eastbound lane from Windsor Road to Pennant Hills Road
- Additional eastbound lane from Pennant Hills Rd through M2 Tunnel to Lane Cove Road
- New Christie Road eastbound on ramp (opened January 2013)
- New Herring Road westbound off ramp (opened January 2013)
- Additional westbound lane from Beecroft Road to Pennant Hills Road
- Widened road between Lane Cove Road and Beecroft Road to reinstate the 3.5 metre traffic lanes and 2.5 metre breakdown shoulder for cyclists
- Norfolk Tunnel widened in both directions.
Additional M2 work
Additional maintenance work will be carried out to stabilise the embankment near the eastbound lanes at Marsfield. Work to build the Lane Cove Road on-ramp is expected to start in September and is expected to be completed within two years, weather permitting.
Until this work is completed:
- Citybound cyclists will have restricted access to the breakdown lane and will have to enter the motorway at Pennant Hills Road.
- Three general eastbound lanes will operate at a reduced speed of 80km/h from Terrys Creek Bridge to Delhi Road, North Ryde.
- The T2 lane between Terrys Creek Bridge and Lane Cove Road is expected to open once work is completed.
For more information
- Hills M2 upgrade visit the Hills M2 upgrade website
- Marsfield embankment maintenance visit www.hillsm2.com.au or contact the project team on 1800 196 266
- Lane Cove Road on-ramp visit www.lanecoveroadramp.com.au or contact the project team on 1800 196 266 (option 2) or email@example.com