The Wentworth Falls East section of the Great Western Highway upgrade between Emu Plains and Katoomba was officially opened by Federal Senator Doug Cameron and State Member for Blue Mountains, Roza Sage on Sunday 16 September 2012.
This project was jointly funded by the NSW and Federal governments.
Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) consulted with Blue Mountains City Council and the local community to ensure the needs of highway users, the local community and businesses were met.
Community consultation included:
- An information day on Saturday 3 June 2006 to discuss the concept design and review of environmental factors at the Grand View Hotel in Wentworth Falls.
- Community submissions closed on Friday 23 June 2006 and the review of environmental factors was approved on 27 October, 2006.
- Detailed design work for the project commenced with ongoing community discussions.
- On Saturday, 29 March 2008 an information day was held at the Wentworth Falls School of Arts to update members of the community on progress of the project and answer questions.
- Regular construction updates letterboxed throughout Wentworth Falls since construction commenced.