Kempsey Bypass Construction
Construction activities for road opening
The project team are completing construction activities at the South Kempsey interchange and in the vicinity of Crescent Head Road. This work will include final asphalt surfacing, line-marking, barrier installation and other finishing works. Some of these activities are proposed to be undertaken at night or on weekends to ensure the road is opened prior to Easter.
In late March prior to highway traffic being switched onto the new upgrade, northbound and southbound Pacific Highway traffic will be temporarily directed through the new South Kempsey interchange roundabouts. This temporary arrangement will be in place for approximately one day. VMS boards will inform motorists of the changes and some delays can be expected during this period
Access to Kempsey and Frederickton
Once the road has been opened to traffic, access to Kempsey and Frederickton will continue to be available from both the northern Frederickton Interchange and South Kempsey Interchange.
Southbound motorists can continue to access Frederickton and Kempsey via Macleay Valley Way (the existing Pacific Highway) once the bypass is open by travelling straight through the Frederickton interchange roundabouts, as is currently the arrangement.
Northbound motorists wishing to travel to Kempsey and Frederickton once the bypass is open can exit the bypass via the new Kempsey off ramp and rejoin the existing Pacific Highway at South Kempsey.
Post-opening remaining activities
Following the opening of the bypass to traffic, a number of finishing works will be undertaken and include removal of construction barriers, removal of temporary line-marking, adjustments to existing guardrail and finishing work such as landscaping. These works are expected to be ongoing for approximately 3 weeks until mid April 2013.
Once the Kempsey bypass is opened to traffic, motorists may expect some queuing during peak periods in the vicinity of the Frederickton interchange roundabouts. This queuing will be alleviated once the next stage of the project is completed between Frederickton and Eungai. Construction of this stage of the Pacific Highway upgrade is due to commence in mid to late 2013.
Maps of the final traffic arrangements will be available on the project website shortly.
Extended work hours
Construction will continue to take place between 8am and 1pm each Saturday as required, in accordance with the project’s Environmental Protection License (EPL). In areas where impacted residents have provided agreements, Saturday work between 8am – 5pm and some Sunday work between 8am – 1pm will be carried out intermittently. Some night work will also be required between 6pm and 7am in key locations. We appreciate your ongoing patience as the upgrade nears completion.
Key construction activities scheduled during March and April 2013
The following works are scheduled across the project throughout March and April 2013, weather permitting:
South Kempsey to Pola Creek
- Completion of all asphalt surfacing.
- Completion of line marking and sign installation.
- Completion South Kempsey interchange roundabouts.
- Continuation of finishing works, verge placement and landscaping between Southern interchange and North Coast Rail.
- Installation of permanent barriers.
- Completion of concrete pavement activities in the vicinity of the Frederickton interchange bridge.
- Commencement of finishing works, verge placement and landscaping between Macleay River and Frederickton interchange bridge.
Site compounds and local streets surrounding the upgrade
- Completion of minor property access and local road works in areas such as Old Station Road, Inches Road, Crescent Head Road and the old Pacific Highway.
- Start of reinstatement of construction access routes.
- Start removal of temporary construction site facilities, storage areas and buildings at Shannon Close, Yabsleys Lane and Old Station Road.
Every effort is being made to minimise impacts on motorists, the local community and the natural environment during this important upgrade. We thank you for your ongoing
Please follow all traffic controller instructions