Intersection improvements on the Princes Highway, Figtree
Work is now complete on the upgrade of key intersections on the Princes Highway at Figtree.
The $15 million project to improve capacity and traffic flow through Figtree, by upgrading the intersections of The Avenue and Bellevue Road, allows motorists to travel more freely on the Princes Highway through this busy shopping precinct.
Work commenced in January 2011 with the start of preliminary utility relocation work and was completed prior to Christmas 2012.
RMS held a barbeque on Saturday 9 February 2013 to thank the local community for their patience while this important project was being built.
RMS continues to monitor traffic efficiency on the Princes Highway in Figtree, particularly at the intersections of The Avenue and Bellevue Road. Traffic light experts have been onsite to enhance the traffic light sequencing to maximise traffic flow.
If you would like any further information, please contact RMS's Project Manager, Andrew Destry on (02) 4221 2505 or Andrew.Destry@rms.nsw.gov.au
The project to upgrade key intersections on the Princes Highway at Figtree was to enhance public transport reliability and improve traffic efficiency through Figtree's CBD.
The key benefits of this project were to:
- Improve travel efficiency and increase capacity by providing two through lanes heading north and south on the Princes Highway.
- Improve public transport reliability.
- Improve road safety.
- Reduce peak hour delays and queuing at intersections.
- Separate turning traffic and through traffic at key intersections to ease congestion.
- Improve access to the local shopping precinct.
- Enhance the road corridor by providing additional garden and tree plantings.
- Widen the Princes Highway to the east to accommodate extra turning bays.
- Provide a right turn bay for motorists turning into Figtree Oval from Princes Highway northbound.
- Ban the existing right turn movement out of Figtree Oval by constructing a concrete median in the centre of the highway.
- Construct a right turn lane from the Princes Highway into Bellevue Road.
- Provide a bus only lane at the existing traffic lights at the intersection of Princes Highway and Bellevue Road.
- Construct a separated left turn lane and merge lane for traffic exiting The Avenue onto the Princes Highway and heading south.
- Provide an additional, dedicated right turn lane on the Princes Highway northbound for motorists turning into The Avenue.
- Landscape of the road corridor, including replanting of advanced Moreton Bay Fig Trees.