Bulli Intersection upgrade
A new single lane, northbound overpass from George Avenue connecting the Princes Highway to Lawrence Hargrave Drive opened to traffic in November 2010, along with the new off-load ramp from Bulli Pass to Lawrence Hargrave Drive. This project was funded by the NSW Government.
A southern connection of the footpath from George Avenue to the bridge.
- A 1.8 metre wide footpath on the western side of the bridge
- A new footpath on the northern side of Bulli Pass, providing easy access onto Lawrence Hargrave Drive.
New bus stops have also been constructed including:
- On the new northbound bridge, north of George Avenue and is accessible via the footpath from George Avenue.
- The existing bus bay on Lawrence Hargrave Drive northbound between the Princes Highway and Gum Tree Lane has been relocated to the northern end of the bridge, and is accessible from the newly constructed footpath around the northwest corner of Bulli Pass and Lawrence Hargrave Drive.
New turning movements, including:
- The intersection of George Avenue and the Princes Highway, Bulli, drivers can turn left-in and left-out at the George Avenue intersection. Motorists turning left from George Avenue will only be able to access the overpass onto Lawrence Hargrave Drive.
- The intersection of Gum Tree Lane and Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Thirroul is now left-in left-out only, to improve safety. The right turn into and out of Gum Tree Lane has been banned. Motorists heading south should use Pass Avenue and Bulli Pass.
- The southern intersection of Hewitts Avenue and Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Thirroul is now a left-in only into Hewitts Avenue. Traffic is now unable to turn onto Lawrence Hargrave Drive.
- A permanent no right turn from Sturdee Avenue onto the Princes Highway (northbound) is also in effect.
- Vehicle parking on the western side of Lawrence Hargrave Drive between Hewitts Avenue (north) intersection and Gum Tree Lane has been banned.
Other works in the surrounding area as part of the major work included:
- A new roundabout at the junction Lawrence Hargrave Drive and Hewitts Avenue (north).
- Widening Princes Highway to the west near the Princes Highway and Lawrence Hargrave Drive intersection.
- Construction of the new containment wall which replaces tghe existing safety ramp and protects Wollongong bound motorists on Lawrence Hargrave Drive from those coming down Bulli Pass, including heavy vehicles.
- Improved road safety.
- Reduced peak hour delays and queuing at the intersection.
- Reduced vehicle operating costs through improved traffic flow.
- Greater travel efficiency with free flowing traffic movements at the intersection and improved facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
- A small footprint, minimising the impacts on the existing environment.
- A simple, cost effective solution that will allow early implementation.