Roads and Maritime Services has installed permanent variable message signs on the M1 Pacific Motorway. These variable message signs provide road users with travel time information and advance warning of road incidents.
The sites were selected based on our assessment that signs installed at these locations:
- Could be used to provide road users with information and advance warning about both planned and unplanned incidents, such as the location of crashes, road works, events, expected delays and detours.
- Would have adequate sight distance and be clearly visible to drivers.
- Would be in an area clear of underground utilities and overhead power lines.
- Would provide road users with the opportunity to deviate from their planned route if required or desired.
These signs are installed within the road reserve and will support existing road network operations by Transport for NSW Transport Management Centre and RMS.
The benefits of these signs are:
- Better travel time reliability on the motorway network.
- A safer road network.
Roads and Maritime has completed the sign installations and they are now operational. Minor finishing works are being carried out.
Work to install the signs included::
- Investigating underground cabling to determine the exact location.
- Constructing a footing and installing the support structure and message board.
- Excavating the site to bring power and telecommunications cables to the sign.
- Trimming tree branches near the proposed location to ensure visibility to motorists.
- Installation of state of the art signs and associated technology.