Showground Road upgrade at Castle Hill
Showground Road in Castle Hill is a busy road which also services the popular Castle Towers Shopping Centre. Showground Road generally has only one lane in each direction between Carrington Road and Pennant Street.
In February 2011, The Hills Shire Council granted development consent to the Queensland Investment Corporation (QIC) to expand Castle Towers Shopping Centre. This expansion is expected to further increase traffic on Showground Road.
Roads and Maritime worked closely with Council in assessing the development application from QIC for the proposed expansion of Castle Towers Shopping Centre. Based on this assessment, Roads and Maritime identified the following work would be considered on Showground Road to accommodate the expected increase in travel demand. The work would be subject to further design considerations, Review of Environmental Factors (REF), construction constraints and land availability.
Features of the upgrade include:
- Widening Showground Road to four lanes between Carrington Road and Old Northern Road
- Modifications to the intersection of Showground Road and Pennant Street
- A new set of traffic lights at the intersection of Showground Road, Kentwell Avenue and Cheriton Avenue
- A new set of traffic lights at the intersection of Showground Road and Rowallan Avenue
- Adjustment of line marking to meet the existing four lane section of the road near the Carrington Road intersection
- Adjustment of line marking to meet the existing four lane section of the road near the Old Northern Road intersection
- Bus priority measures at traffic lights in the eastbound direction
- Left-in / left-out restriction at the intersection of Showground Road and Britannia Road
- Provision of off-road walking and cycling facilities along Showground Road.
What is happening next?
Roads and Maritime will provide information and involve the community during the planning of Showground Road including information sessions, website updates and community update letters.
Community sessions will be held in the first half of 2014 in conjunction with the display of the REF.
For further information regarding this project, please contact the Roads and Maritime project team or check this webpage again soon.
Phone: (02) 8849 2465