Nelson Bay Road upgrade, Bobs Farm to Anna Bay
The NSW Government is upgrading Nelson Bay Road from Bobs Farm to Anna Bay.
The project is being funded by the NSW Government through the Hunter Infrastructure and Investment Fund.
The upgrade will involve reconstructing the existing carriageway and constructing a second carriageway between Cromarty Lane, Bobs Farm and Port Stephens Drive roundabout, Anna Bay.
The design has been completed, the Review of Environmental Factors determined and the tender for construction was awarded in early July 2013. RMS expects to start construction in August 2013 and complete the project by the end of 2014, weather permitting.
Nelson Bay Road is a State Road and is the main arterial link connecting Newcastle to Williamtown and the Tomaree Peninsula. It carries a large volume of local and tourist traffic visiting the Nelson Bay area and is the only route servicing the Tomaree Peninsula and the various townships between Newcastle and Nelson Bay.
This project is the final stage and longest section (4.2 kilometres in length) of the upgrade of Nelson Bay Road to dual carriageway between Bobs Farm and Anna Bay (total length 6.8 kilometres).
Benefits of the proposal:
- Improved safety for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.
- Better bays for bus passengers.
- Reduced traffic delays.
- More reliable travel times for motorists using this section of Nelson Bay Road.
The upgrade includes:
- Constructing a second carriageway between Cromarty Lane and Port Stephens Drive roundabout, Anna Bay.
- Reconstructing the existing carriageway.
- Landscaped median to separate opposing traffic.
- Ten upgraded bus bays.
- New u-turn facilities to provide safe access to properties along the route.
- Pedestrian refuges in the median adjacent to bus bays.
- Wider shoulders and improved intersections.
What happens next?
RMS expects to start work in August to carry out the below activities. Work will be carried out between the approved work hours of 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 1pm Saturday:
- Establishment of the site offices
- Establishment of traffic control measures to ensure the safety of workers and road users during construction
- Establishment of environment protection devices
- Controlled clearing and mulching of trees
- The start of earthworks, fencing, drainage work and utility relocations.