Full licence

After you’ve held your provisional P2 licence for at least 24 months, and passed the Driver Qualification Test, you can progress to a full (unrestricted) driver licence.

Changes to the Graduated Licensing Scheme from 20 November 2017

Changes are coming for L, P1 and P2 drivers - find out how this will affect you.

Getting a full licence

To apply for your full licence, you must:

Note: If you hold a licence from another Australian state or territory, or from overseas, see Moving to NSW for information about converting your licence to a NSW equivalent.

Validity of driving tests
Driving tests are only valid for one month. If you don’t take out a licence within a month of passing the test, you will need to pass another test before being eligible for a licence.

What can I drive with a full car licence?

If you hold a full car (class C) licence, you can drive:

  • Vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM)
  • Vehicles that seat up to 12 adults, including the driver.

This generally includes cars, utes, vans, some light trucks, car-based motor tricycles, tractors, and implements such as graders.

Important: If you’re driving passengers for a fare or other form of payment, regardless of the class of licence or vehicle, you must also hold a Public Passenger Vehicle Driver Authority.

Upgrading your licence

Once you hold a full car licence, you may wish to upgrade to a higher class of licence, allowing you to drive heavier vehicles.

See Getting a heavy vehicle licence for information.

Share this page: