To get your driver learner licence, you need to be 16 or older. You will need to attend a Service NSW centre to prove your identity and pass a Driver Knowledge Test (DKT).
Getting your learner licence
To get your learner licence you must:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Prove your identity
- Pass an eyesight test
- Pass a Driver Knowledge Test (DKT)
- Pay the licence and test fees, unless you’re eligible for a concession.
After you pay the required fees and pass the DKT, your photo will be taken. Depending on which location you attend, your licence card will either be handed over the counter or posted to you. If it’s posted, you’ll receive a temporary paper licence, which you can use to learn to drive, until your licence card arrives.
Your learner licence is valid for 5 years. If you haven't progressed to a P1 licence at the end of the 5 years, you can renew it, but you'll need to pay for and pass the DKT again. See Renew or replace your driver licence for more information.
When you are issued with your learner licence, you will also receive a Learner Driver Log Book.
What you need to know
- Learner drivers must obey special rules, which are designed to keep you safe while you're building your driving skills and experience
- You need to log at least 120 hours driving experience, including 20 hours of night driving, in your learner driver log book
- You can choose to take a Safer Drivers Course to improve your skills (and get a bonus 20 hours in your log book!)
- Structured lessons with a licensed NSW driving instructor will also give you a bonus of 3-for-1 log book hours.
Progressing to a P1
Once you have held your learner licence for at least 10 month, you need to pass the Hazard Perception Test (HPT).
Once you pass the driving test, you progress to the next licence stage - a provisional P1 licence.
Restricted P1 licence pilot
If you’re under 25 and live in a remote area, you may be eligible to apply for your P1 licence after logging only 50 hours of driving practice. See Restricted P1 licence pilot for information.