Renew or replace your licence

Roads and Maritime Services renews licences to make sure drivers are legally licensed, so that we hold a current record of all drivers and their addresses, and so that licences show up-to-date photos.

It’s your responsibility to renew your licence before it expires. We’ll send you a renewal notice about six weeks before expiry. Not receiving the renewal is not an acceptable excuse for failing to renew your licence. There are heavy penalties for driving with an expired licence.

You can apply for a replacement licence if yours is damaged, lost or stolen.

Plan ahead - your card may be posted to you

We're changing the way we print and issue photocards. At certain locations, when you apply for a licence, your card will be posted to you at no extra cost. When you apply for or renew your licence you will be given a paper receipt. The receipt will act as proof of licence status until your new photo licence arrives.

More information about centralised photocard printing.

Renewing your licence

You need to attend a registry or service centre in person to renew your licence. This is so we can verify your identity and take your photo.

You can choose to renew your unrestricted licence for one, three, five or ten years. If you're eligible for a concession, your licence can be renewed for five or ten years.

NOTE: The ten year licence renewal option is only available to eligible customers aged 21 to 44 years who hold an unrestricted licence of class C (car) and/or R (rider).

If you also hold a NSW boat licence you may be eligible to combine it with your unrestricted one, three or five year driver/rider licence when your driver/rider licence is due for renewal. See Combined licences for further information.

What you need to do

When you visit a registry or service centre to renew your licence, you need to:

Once you pay the required fee, your photo will be taken. Depending on which location you attend, your licence card will either be handed over the counter, or posted to you. If it's posted, you'll receive a temporary paper licence, which you can use on the road, until your new card arrives.

If you provide your old licence card, it will be invalidated and returned to you. Keep this card in a safe place – you can use it as proof of your identity when dealing with Roads and Maritime.

Learner licences

If you 're a learner licence holder, you 'll have to pass the knowledge test before your licence will be renewed. You 'll also have to pass an eyesight test and pay the learner licence fee.

Learner driver licences are renewed for five years.

Roads and Maritime may refuse to renew your learner licence if your driving record is unsatisfactory.

Provisional P1 and P2 licences

There 's no maximum time limit for moving through the provisional P1 and P2 licence stages. You can renew a P1 or P2 licence as many times as you need to. You don't need to take any knowledge or driving tests to renew a P1 or P2 licence, however you need to pay the provisional licence fee, and you may need to pass an eyesight test and/or provide a satisfactory medical report.

P1 licences are renewed for 18 months and P2 licences are renewed for 30 months.

Early renewal

You can renew your licence up to six months before it expires.

Late renewal

Up to six months late

If you renew within six months after the expiry date, your new licence will be backdated and have the same expiry date, as long as you haven t been disqualified, or had your licence cancelled in that time.

Licence expired up to five years

If you renew more than six months, but less than five years after the expiry date, your licence will be reissued. The new expiry date will be calculated from the date the licence is reissued.

Licence expired more than five years

If your licence has expired by more than five years, you'll need to pass eyesight, knowledge and driving tests for the class of licence that you previously held.

If you've passed the knowledge test but failed your first driving test on an expired licence, you'll need to apply for a learner licence, and meet all the requirements. If you can prove you held a licence in another Australian state or territory for the same class within the last five years, you may be exempt from the tests. See Moving to NSW for more information.

If you've held an overseas licence within the last five years, you may also be exempt from some tests, depending on the country. See Moving to NSW for more information.

Cancelled licences and disqualified drivers

If your licence has been cancelled or suspended, or you've been disqualified from driving, call 13 22 13, or visit a registry or service centre for information about your next steps.

Fair go for safe drivers - discounted licence renewal

If you have a good driving record, you may be eligible for a 50% discount on your licence renewal fee. You must renew your licence within six months of the expiry date. If you renew more than six months after expiry, you must pay the full renewal fee. If you’re eligible, the discount applies whether you renew your unrestricted licence for one, three, five (or ten years for eligible customers aged 21 to 44 years).

To qualify, at the time of renewal you must:

  • Hold an unrestricted NSW licence of any class which expires on or after 1 July 2012. Interstate and overseas licences are not counted. Learner and provisional P1 and P2 licences are also not counted
  • Have held the NSW licence continuously for five years. This means you must have less than six months total break (eg if your licence was expired, suspended, cancelled or refused for any reason, except on medical grounds)
  • Have no relevant offences recorded on your NSW licence  in the five years leading up to the date you renew your licence. Interstate and overseas driving records are not counted. Relevant offences include:
    • Any offence which attracts demerit points
    • A conviction for a major offence, such as drink or drug driving
    • Any unlicensed driving offence.

Some offences are recorded on your traffic record, but won't be counted when determining eligibility for the discount. These include offences dealt with by way of a caution issued by the State Debt Recovery Office, or any offence which was dismissed without conviction under Section 10 of the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act 1999.

Important: Offences dealt with under Section 10 before 31 January 2011 are counted as relevant offences, because they attracted demerit points at the time.

If you’re appealing an offence when you renew your licence, the discount does not apply. However if your appeal is successful, you may be eligible for a refund of 50% of the renewal fee you paid.

Replacing your licence

If your licence card has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, you can apply for a replacement card online or in person at a registry or service centre.

You can only order one replacement licence online in a 12 month period.

If you apply in person, you'll need to provide:

Once you pay the required fee, your photo will be taken. Depending on which location you attend, your licence card will either be handed over the counter or posted to you. If it's posted, you'll receive a temporary paper licence, which you can use on the road, until your new card arrives.

Renewing or replacing your licence while temporarily out of NSW

If you’re temporarily out of NSW and need to renew or replace your licence, you can use a photo-kit form, provided your licence is expired less than five years, is not a temporary paper licence, and is not suspended or cancelled:

You can also obtain a photo-kit by calling 1800 624 384, or +61 2 6861 1663 if you're overseas.

If you're living interstate continuously for three months or longer, you should convert your NSW licence to the equivalent interstate licence. Under the National Driver Licensing Scheme, the licence is converted free of charge.

If you’ve taken up residence overseas, you should obtain a driver licence in that country.

You can only use a photo-kit once for renewal. This means the next time you need to renew, you’ll need to do it in person at a registry or service centre in NSW.

The photo-kits contain detailed information, however these are the essential points:

  • You must write your NSW address in the box provided on the kit. If you don’t, your application will not be processed
  • Your licence will be posted to your NSW address unless you specifically ask for it to be sent to your temporary interstate or overseas address
  • Because the kit allows for a renewal or replacement licence via mail, there are strict proof of identity requirements. You must comply with the proof of identity requirements as outlined in the kit
  • When you sign the ‘Specimen Signature’ label, please use a black pen, and make sure you press hard and bold for good reproduction.

If your proof of identity shows an old name

If your proof of identity document(s) show an old name that is different to the one currently recorded by Roads and Maritime, then you must also provide a certified copy of one of the following documents, certified by the witness in Section C of the photo-kit:

  • A Marriage Certificate
  • A Divorce Decree
  • A Deed Poll registered with the relevant authority
  • A Change of Name Certificate issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • A Birth Certificate showing your name at birth and your new name
  • A document showing evidence of change of name registered in the Land Titles Office

Your identity and change of name documents should show a clear link between your old name and your current name.

Important: You cannot change your name on Roads and Maritime records using a photo-kit. Change of name must be done in person at a registry or service centre once you return to NSW. See Changing your personal details for more information.


Payment may be made by Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit cards.
Please do not send cash.

If you’re temporarily interstate, a cheque or money order made payable to Roads and Maritime Services is acceptable.

If you’re temporarily overseas, an overseas bank draft made payable to Roads and Maritime Services in Australian dollars is acceptable. The overseas bank must endorse the draft as being payable at a nominated Australian bank, otherwise it will not be acceptable for presentation.

Submitting your application

The special camera used to process a photo-kit licence is not available at local registries or service centres, therefore you must send the kit and your payment to:

Photo-Licence Unit
Roads and Maritime Services
PO Box 21

Share this page: