Licence tests

To progress through the NSW licensing scheme and get a full licence, you need to pass theory and practical tests.

Tests for car licences

NSW has a graduated licensing scheme. To get a full driver licence under this scheme, you need to complete all stages:

To get a… You need to pass the…
Learner licence Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) – computer-based
Provisional P1 licence Driving Test – practical
Provisional P2 licence Hazard Perception Test (HPT) – computer-based
Full licence Driver Qualification Test (DQT) – computer-based

Preparing for your tests

Before taking the tests, you should study the relevant guide or handbook, and test yourself with the online practice tests and modules (for computer-based tests only):

Handbooks can be downloaded from this site, or you can buy a hard copy from any registry or service centre.

Motorcycle licence tests

If you’re interested in applying for a motorcycle rider licence, please see the Rider licence section.

Heavy vehicle licence tests

If you’re interested in applying to upgrade your existing driver or rider licence to a heavy vehicle licence, please see Heavy vehicle licences.

Share this page: