Rider full licence

Once you’ve held your provisional P2 rider licence for at least two years, you can apply for a full rider licence.

Plan ahead - your card may be posted to you

We're changing the way we print and issue photocards. At certain locations, when you apply for a licence, your card will be posted to you at no extra cost. When you apply for or renew your licence you will be given a paper receipt. The receipt will act as proof of licence status until your new photo licence arrives.

More information about centralised photocard printing.

Getting a full rider licence

To apply for your full rider licence, you must have held your provisional P2 rider licence for at least two years.

If you’re over 25, you may be exempt from the P2 licence stage – see P2 rider licence for information.

Note: If you hold a licence from another Australian state or territory, or from overseas, see Moving to NSW for information about converting your licence to a NSW equivalent.

There are no course or test requirements when applying for a full rider licence. You need to attend a registry or service centre in person and:

Once you pay the required fee, your photo will be taken. Depending on which location you attend, your licence card will either be handed over the counter, or posted to you. If it’s posted, you’ll receive a temporary paper licence, which you can use to ride, until your new card arrives.

Share this page: