Rider Training Scheme

If you live in a declared area, you need to complete the Motorcycle Rider Training Scheme in order to get your rider licence.

What is the Motorcycle Rider Training Scheme?

The Motorcycle Rider Training Scheme is a training and testing program specifically designed to help people gain basic riding skills, whilst learning to ride on the road.

There are two levels of training:

  • Pre-learner
  • Pre-provisional.

The training includes both on and off-road activities.

To find out whether you live in a declared area, check the list of approved training centres for one near you, or call Roads and Maritime on 13 22 13.

Even if you live in an area where there are no training centres (undeclared areas), we encourage you to attend a rider training course if possible, as the course will help you develop your riding skills.

In this section...

Pre-learner course

Pre-provisional course

Share this page: