Conditional registration

Conditional registration allows certain non-standard vehicles limited road access to perform specific functions.

What is conditional registration?

The conditional registration scheme allows limited access to the road network to certain vehicles that do not comply with the Australian Design Rules and vehicle standards. Access is only permitted in order to perform specific functions.

Only the vehicles listed in the Conditional Registration Vehicle Sheets may be registered under the conditional registration scheme. If there is no sheet for your vehicle, it cannot be conditionally registered.

If a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used instead, conditional registration is not offered.

Types of vehicles which can be conditionally registered

Examples of vehicle types that can be conditionally registered include:

Note: Vehicles built on a truck-based chassis are not eligible for conditional registration, except as historic vehicles.

Operating conditions

Roads and Maritime applies operating conditions to all vehicles registered under the conditional registration scheme. The conditions are designed to overcome the vehicle’s deficiencies, and/or restrict their use of the road network.

If suitable operating conditions cannot be applied to the vehicle to overcome or moderate performance deficiencies, then the vehicle will not be registered under the scheme.

If your application is successful, Roads and Maritime will issue you a Certificate of Registration and label, a set of number plates for the vehicle, and a Certificate of Approved Operations. The Certificate of Approved Operations outlines the conditions you must follow when you drive the vehicle on a road or road-related area and must be carried in the vehicle at all times. For a full list of conditions and codes refer to Condition codes and descriptions.

Note: Conditionally registered vehicles must display a registration label, regardless of their Gross Vehicle Mass.

Road-related areas

Road-related areas include:

  • Footpaths and nature strips
  • Service station driveways
  • Public and private car parks and access areas
  • Private roads the public are normally invited to drive on
  • Drive-in fast food outlets and other drive-in commercial areas used by the public.

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance

The conditional registration includes Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance.

Important: This CTP insurance only covers you on roads and road-related areas. It does not cover you on private property.

Applying for conditional registration

To apply for conditional registration, you’ll need to go to a registry or service centre. You’ll need to provide:

  • A completed Application for Conditional Registration
  • Proof of your identity. If you’re registering the vehicle in the name of an organisation, you’ll also need proof of the organisation’s identity
    • If you’re registering the vehicle in an organisation name, you need to complete the Representative’s Authority section on the Application for RegistrationFor a company, the Director or authorised delegate must complete and sign the Representative’s Authority, or provide a letter of authorisation on company letterhead
    • For an incorporated association, the Public Officer must sign.
  • If you send someone else to register the vehicle in your name, you’ll need to complete the Representative’s Authority section on the Application for Registration form. Your representative must also provide their own proof of identity
    • Important: If you’re not already recorded in Roads and Maritime systems, you cannot send a representative – you must attend in person
  • Proof of your entitlement to register the vehicle
  • A document proving the vehicle is suitable for safe use:
  • Payment for the conditional registration costs. This includes an administration fee, number plate fee and Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance premium.

Renewing conditional registration

Roads and Maritime sends you a reminder four to six weeks before the renewal due date.

Take the renewal notice, relevant declaration and/or safety check inspection report and the renewal fee to any registry or service centre to renew the registration.

Transferring conditional registration

You cannot transfer a conditional registration.

If you sell your vehicle, you must cancel the registration and return the number plates. The new operator can apply for conditional registration.

Cancelling conditional registration

You can cancel the conditional registration at any time by completing the Cancel Registration Advice on the back of the vehicle’s Certificate of Registration, and presenting the advice at a registry or service centre.

There is no cancellation fee, and no refund for the administration or number plates fees already paid.

A cancellation letter will be sent, so you can apply for a refund for the unused portion of the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance premium.

Documents and forms

Share this page: