Seasonal registration

Seasonal registration is available for vehicles that are used for agricultural or over-snow purposes to coincide with seasonal needs.

What is seasonal registration?

If you have a vehicle that is used for agricultural or over-snow use, you can apply for seasonal registration.

Seasonal vehicles can be registered for any combination of three-month or six-month terms, within a 12-month period. A single annual term of 12 months is not possible under seasonal registration.

Applying for seasonal registration

The steps to apply for seasonal registration apply to both a vehicle not currently registered in NSW, or a vehicle registered with general registration being converted to seasonal registration.

To apply for seasonal registration, you’ll first need to have the vehicle inspected:

  • If it’s currently unregistered, you’ll need a safety and identity check from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (light vehicles, less than 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass) or Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Station (heavy vehicles)
  • If it’s currently registered with general registration, you’ll need a safety check from an eSafety Check station.
  • Find an inspection station.

You’ll also need to purchase Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance (a green slip). The period of cover for the CTP policy must match the period of seasonal registration you intend to apply for. The CTP policy must be issued by a NSW insurance provider.

Once you have your inspection and CTP insurance, go to a registry or Service NSW centre in person (or send a representative) and apply for seasonal registration. You’ll need to provide:

Renewing a seasonal registration

Roads and Maritime Services does not issue registration renewal notices for seasonally registered vehicles.

You can renew seasonal registration up to 12 months after the expiry date. If the registration is expired more than 12 months, you’ll need to apply for a new registration, and the number plates must be surrendered.

To renew your seasonal registration, you’ll need to:

  • Buy Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance (green slip). Most insurers send details of your CTP policy to Roads and Maritime electronically
  • Get a safety check if required. See Inspection requirements for renewing seasonal registration for information
  • Renew the registration. You can do this:
    • In person at any registry or Service NSW centre
    • By phoning 1300 360 782 and paying with a credit card.

Inspection requirements for renewing seasonal registration

Vehicles with seasonal registration require one safety check inspection report in a 12-month period. You’ll need a new inspection report if you request a registration term that expires more than 12 months after you first use your current inspection report for registration.

Seasonal vehicles requiring Roads and Maritime HVIS inspection

If your seasonal vehicle falls under the Roads and Maritime Heavy Vehicle Inspection Scheme (HVIS), and you seasonally register it for nine months within a 12-month period, an HVIS inspection is required within 28 days of renewal.

This is to prevent seasonally registered heavy vehicles being constantly registered without the required inspection.

A booking is required, and a fee payable. You can book by phoning 1300 364 847, or in person at any registry or Service NSW centre.

Note: Vehicles enrolled in the National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme are exempt from inspection requirements.

Transferring a seasonally registered vehicle

You can transfer a seasonally registered vehicle up to 12 months after the registration expiry date, provided the new registered operator uses it for agricultural or over-snow purposes.

Seasonally registered vehicles cannot be transferred more than 12 months after the registration expiry date. Instead, the new registered operator must hand in the number plates, and apply for a new registration.

Seasonally registered vehicles cannot be transferred to a motor dealer.

Cancelling seasonal registration

You can cancel your seasonal registration at any time. See Cancelling your registration for information.

Number plates

Number plates can stay on a seasonally registered vehicle for up to 12 months after the registration expiry date, and can be re-used when the registration is renewed. No order fees apply, but any existing annual fees are payable.

If you change a vehicle from general registration to seasonal registration, the existing number plates can be re-used up to three months after the expiry date.

Share this page: