All terrain vehicle / quad bike
Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
Acceptable vehicle uses
The following is a non-exhaustive list of acceptable vehicle uses:
- Primary producers for farming purposes
- Surf life saving clubs on their specified beach
- Rural Lands Protection Boards for Board work
- NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service, their approved lessees or contractors. If operating in national parks, use is restricted to specific areas approved by the NSW National Parks and Wildlife service
- Forests NSW, their approved lessees or contactors for forest management operations
- Game Council NSW in State forests for operational purposes under the Game and Feral Animal Control Act 2002 or Forestry Act 1916. Use is restricted to specific areas approved by Forests NSW
- Essential Energy for the delivery of electricity services within their network area when a complying vehicle cannot be used.
Local government councils and their weed control contractors may also conditionally register ATVs for weed spraying operations only when they provide a letter stating:
- The vehicle is approved for such operations by the manufacturer
- The spray tank is compatible with the vehicle and will not destabilise it regardless of the percentage the spray tank is filled
- When full, the combined weight of the spray tank, ancillary equipment will not be operated on slopes that exceed the manufacturer’s specifications for such operations
- The operator has undertaken accredited training in operating the vehicle.
For use of ATVs on Stockton Beach Recreation Vehicle Area, see Recreation vehicles.
Conditional registration of all terrain vehicles (ATVs) if only available in circumstances where the vehicle meets the following general conditions:
- Will be used mostly off-road or off-road related areas, but needs limited access to the road network, and
- Limited mixing with general traffic on sealed roads, and
- Will be floated from site to site, unless a designated route or area of operation has been approved by a Roads and Maritime Services registry manager.
All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007.
|Equipment||Daylight / floodlit use||24 hour use|
|Amber rotating beacon||No||No|
|Brake and turn lights||Yes||Yes|
|Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights||No||Yes|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes||Yes|
Daylight / floodlit worksite use only
|Excluded from built up areas||LO2|
|Speed limited – the lesser of manufacturer’s speed limit or 50 km/h||SP50|
|Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can operate in areas designated in GO93 or LO3)||LO99|
|Use only for farming purposes OR||GO93 or|
|Restricted to designated areas / routes||LO3 + free text specifying area|
|Additional mandatory conditions for weed spraying:|
|Weed spraying by councils with speed limited to 40 km/h||Free text: Weed spraying by (insert name) council with speed limited to 40km/h and omit SP50|
|Weed spraying by councils with speed limited to 40 km/h Must not be used within 3 metres of the sealed / formed road, except for the purpose of crossing a road / loading / unloading||Free text|
Roads and Maritime Services office use
Compulsory Third Party insurance class
Unregistered Vehicle Permit: