Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
Appropriate to the type of classic vehicle being driven.
Applications must be accompanied by a Classic Vehicle Declaration.
For more information, please refer to the Classic vehicles.
- All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007
|Equipment||Daylight / floodlit use||24 hour use|
|Amber rotating beacon||No||No|
|Brake and turn lights
Turn lights only required if the vehicle was manufactured with them
|Headlights, tail and number plate lights||Yes||Yes|
|Rear and side reflective tape||No||No|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes||Yes|
|Use only in conjunction with authorised club event or maintenance||GO94 + free text|
|Classic Vehicle Log Book – May be used for 60 days per year subject to log book conditions.
Note: Only applies to operators choosing to participate in the Log Book Trial
|Registered operator must be a member of an authorised motoring club||OL3|
|Steering failure warning device/ sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering.
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Vehicle shape||BUS / CYC / CYS / SED / COU / WAG / SBS|
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class||Conditional registration:
Unregistered Vehicle Permit:
|Registration usage||PRIV / PNSR|