Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
- All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007
|Equipment||Daylight / floodlit use||24 hour use|
|Amber rotating beacon||Yes||Yes|
|Brake and turn lights||Yes||Yes|
|Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights||No||Yes|
|Rear and side reflective tape||Yes||Yes|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes||Yes|
|Daylight / floodlit worksite use only
Not applicable if vehicle has headlights
|Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving||SL1|
|Oversize permit (general)||OS1|
|OR oversize permit (route specific)||OS2|
|Overmass permit (route specific)||OM3|
|May only carry a load on roads dissecting a single worksite||Free text|
|Steering failure warning /device sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering.
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class
Note: If FARM or UFRM, a Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession must be presented with the Application for Conditional Registration. .
Conditional registration –
|Registration usage||PLNT / RDWN if NRTC vehicle over 4.5 tonnes GVM|