Golf buggy – Lord Howe Island
Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
- Lights: Head lights (low-beam with optional high-beam), direction indicators front and rear, hazard lights, front and rear reflectors, tail lights, brake lights, registration plate light, and reversing lights.
- Windscreen: Automotive grade glass and windscreen wipers.
- Brakes: 4 wheel brake system, with independent emergency brake (hand brake) that comply with the braking performance from the NSW Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation, Schedule 2. The emergency brake must not rely on electromechanical braking and should disengage the drive of the vehicle when applied.
- Restraints: 3 point lap-sash seatbelts and anchorages for all seating positions complying with the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) for MA category vehicles, and child restraint anchorages in at least half of the forward-facing seating positions complying with Australian Design Rule 34 and Australian Design Rule 3 for MA category vehicles.
- Roll Over Protection: Required over all seating positions and that complies with Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 or Australian Standard 2294
- Headrests: Required on all seating positions
- Acoustic Vehicle Alert System (AVAS) complying with UNECE performance requirements, or a similar device that gives the same safety effect and a sound level of 55dB.
- Instrument cluster showing speed, indicator operation, and high-beam operation if fitted
- Unique keys that are required to drive the vehicle
- Automotive grade pneumatic tyres
All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017.
|Equipment||Daylight / floodlit use||24 hour use|
|Amber rotating beacon – only on road or road-related areas||Yes||Yes|
|Brake and turn lights||Yes||Yes|
|Headlights, tail and number plate lights||No||Yes|
|Rear and side reflective tape||No||No|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes||Yes|
|Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving on a road or road-related area||SL1|
|Restricted to designated areas / routes||LO3 + free text|
|Vehicle can only be used on Lord Howe Island||free text|
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class||
Unregistered Vehicle Permit:
|Registration usage||Not applicable|