Material transfer vehicle
Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
- All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007.
|Equipment||Daylight / floodlit use|
|Amber rotating beacon||Yes|
|Brake and turn lights||No|
|Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights||No|
|Rear and side reflective tape||Yes|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes|
|Daylight / floodlit worksite use only||TD1|
|Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving||SL1|
|Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can travel in areas designated in LO5||LO99|
|Use only within a defined area where a traffic control plan applies||LO5|
|Steering failure warning device, warning sign and Maximum Speed Advisory sign required
Note: Applies only to vehicles with hydraulic steering fitted
|‘Left-hand drive’ or ‘Dual Control’ sign required depending on construction
Note: Applies only where left-hand drive or dual control steering controls fitted
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class||Conditional registration: PLNT Unregistered Vehicle Permit: UPLN|
|Registration usage||RDWK / RDWN if the vehicle is over 4.5 tonnes GVM|