Recreation vehicle (Stockton Beach Recreation Vehicle Area only)
Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
A driver or rider of a motor vehicle in the Stockton Beach Recreational Vehicle Area (RVA) does not require a driver or rider licence. The driver or rider cannot be less than 8 years of age.
- Only non-complying motorcycles and 'quad bike' type all-terrain vehicles, such as those pictured, may be conditionally registered for recreation use on the Stockton Beach Recreation Vehicle Area. For use of ATVs by surf life-saving clubs on other beaches see All-terrain vehicles.
- No other types of vehicles, including dune buggies and ultra-light utility vehicles, are considered recreation vehicles and recreation vehicles cannot be used in any other area.
- Quad bike ATVs have handle bars and a saddle type seat. Dune buggies and ultra-light utility vehicles have a steering wheel and car type seats.
- Recreation vehicles are NOT eligible for UVPs for use on Stockton Beach.
- All conditionally-registered recreational vehicles require a Vehicle Suitable for Safe Use Declaration.
All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 for light vehicles or Schedule 2 of the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW) for heavy vehicles.
|Equipment||Daylight / floodlit use|
|Amber rotating beacon||No|
|Brake and turn lights||Yes|
|Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights||No|
|Rear and side reflective tape||No|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes|
|Daylight / floodlit worksite use only||TD1|
|Vehicle to be floated from site to site||LO99|
|Restricted to a maximum speed of 40km/h or the manufacturer’s recommended speed, whichever is less||SP40 + free text|
|Recreation vehicle restricted to designated area of Stockton Beach||LO97|
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Vehicle shape||ATV / CYC|
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class||Conditional registration:
RECG: General recreation vehicle, ATVs and 2 or 3 wheeled motorcycles with engine capacity greater than 300ml
RECM: Recreation cycle – motorcycles with engine capacity 101-300ml
RECL: Recreation cycle – motorcycle with engine capacity less than 100ml
|Registration usage||Not applicable|