Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
• All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007.
|Equipment||Daylight / floodlit use|
|Amber rotating beacon||Yes|
|Brake and turn lights||Yes|
|Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights||No|
|Rear and side reflective tape||Yes|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes|
|Daylight / floodlit worksite use only||TD1|
|Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving||SL1|
|Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can operate in areas designated in LO5)||LO99|
|Use only within a defined construction zone where a traffic control plan applies||LO5|
|Audible warning device must sound at all times when vehicle is moving||Free text|
|Overmass – route specific, if applicable||OM3|
|Oversize – general, if applicable||OS1|
|Oversize – route specific, if applicable||OS2|
|Steering failure warning device / sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering. The maximum speed 45 km/h advisory sign is required where practicable.
|Dual control vehicle sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with dual controls fitted.
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class||
Unregistered Vehicle Permit:
|Registration usage||RDWK / RDWN if NRTC vehicle over 4.5 tonnes|