Sweeper – compact
Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
- Only compact street sweepers, such as those pictured above, intended for use in car parks, parks, on footpaths etc can be registered under conditional registration. Road sweepers built on a truck-based chassis are not eligible for conditional registration.
- All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007.
|Equipment||Daylight/floodlit use||24 hour use|
|Amber rotating beacon||Yes||Yes|
|Brake and turn lights||Yes||Yes|
|Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights||No||Yes|
|Rear and side reflective tape||No||No|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes||Yes|
|Daylight / floodlit worksite use only
Not required if vehicle has headlights
|Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving||SL1|
|Slow vehicle sign required||SL5|
|Restricted to designated areas / routes||LO3 + free text|
|Not to travel on a road when Clearway conditions apply||TD2|
|Steering failure warning device / sign required
Note: Applies only for vehicles with hydraulic steering
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class||