Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
Acceptable vehicle uses
The following is a non-exhaustive list of acceptable vehicle uses:
- Farming contracting
- Roadside mowing
- Road and earthworks
- Beach cleaning
- Shopping trolley collection.
- All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 for light vehicles or Schedule 2 of the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW) for heavy vehicles.
- Tractors manufactured before 21 October 1994 are exempt from the required equipment.
|Equipment||Daylight / floodlit use||24 hour use|
|Amber rotating beacon||Yes||Yes|
|Brake and turn lights||Yes||Yes|
|Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights||No||Yes|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes||Yes|
Daylight / floodlit worksite use only
|Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving||SL1|
Use only the shortest suitable route between depots and worksites
Restricted to designated areas / routes
|LO3 and Special Condition|
Farming purposes only
Overmass – route specific
Oversize – general
Oversize – route specific
Steering failure warning device / sign required
Restricted to a maximum speed of 45 km/h Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering.
Roads and Maritime Services office use
|Vehicle shape||TRP, TRT for pre-21 October 1994|
Unregistered Vehicle Permit:
|Registration usage||PPG, PPGN for over 4.5t GVM, PLNT|