Safety checks and inspections

Roads and Maritime Services maintains inspection and certification schemes to make sure that all vehicles meet minimum safety requirements. Most vehicles require an eSafety Check before you can renew registration. Other inspections may be required for different vehicle types.

eSafety Check for light vehicles

Generally, vehicles more than five years old require an eSafety Check (sometimes called a pink slip) before you can renew the registration. This includes:

  • Vehicles with shape codes CON, COU, FCV, HRS, SBS, SED, TWC and WAG up to 5 tonnes tare weight
  • Vehicles with shape codes PVF, PVS, CHS, MH, PVN, PVW, VAN, TT, TTF and UTE with a GVM up to 4.5 tonnes
  • All motorcycles, including those with a side-car
  • Caravans with a tare weight of 411kg or more
  • Other trailers with a tare weight of 251kg or more, and a gross trailer mass (GTM) of 750kg or less

All public vehicles (eg taxis, hire cars) require a safety check to renew the registration, regardless of age. Some public vehicles also require an Authorised Taxi Inspection Scheme (ATIS) inspection report.

Your registration renewal notice will state whether or not your vehicle needs a safety check.

If you're not sure if your vehicle needs a safety check, or you have any questions, please call us on 13 22 13.

The results of your eSafety Check will be sent to Roads and Maritime electronically.

Light Vehicle Safety Check Inspection Reports issued from 1 December 2014 are valid for six months. This means you will have more flexibility when obtaining an inspection report. This only applies to Safety Check inspections for light vehicle registration renewals and excludes public passenger vehicles.

What if my vehicle fails the eSafety Check?

The eSafety Check station will issue you a Repairs Needed report (sometimes called a white slip). This report details the parts of your vehicle that need to be repaired.

You need to have the repairs done within 14 days of the date the Repairs Need report is issued. If you don’t, the Repairs Needed report expires and you’ll have to get a new eSafety Check (fee applies).

Once repairs have been carried out, you’ll need to have another eSafety Check. If you return to the same safety check station that failed the initial inspection, no additional fees apply. If you take the vehicle to a different eSafety Check station, you’ll be charged a new eSafety Check fee.

If the eSafety Check station is satisfied with the quality of the repairs, they’ll clear the Repairs Needed report and issue a passed eSafety Check report. You can then renew your registration.

Vehicles which do not require an eSafety Check

Trailers that weigh less than 250 kilograms and caravans with a tare weight of less than 411kg do not require an eSafety Check.

Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection for light vehicles

Vehicles not currently registered in NSW require an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection (sometimes called a blue slip) before they can be registered. This includes:

  • Registration that expired more than three months ago
  • If you’re bringing a vehicle into NSW from another Australian state, or another country
  • Vehicles with no number plates
  • Written off vehicles approved for re-registration (see Written off vehicles for more information).

An Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection report is also required:

  • To adjust vehicle registration records, for example because something about the vehicle has changed significantly, such as a new engine
  • To clear defect notices.

In most cases, the results of your Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection will be sent to Roads and Maritime electronically.

Inspection reports are valid for 42 days from the date of inspection. This means that you’ll need to use the report to conduct a transaction with Roads and Maritime within 42 days of having the inspection.

Inspection stations and examiners

Vehicle examiners must be accredited by Roads and Maritime under the Authorised Inspection Scheme before they’re allowed to inspect your vehicle. Different stations are authorised to examine different vehicles types – this ensures that examiners are qualified and that specific safety standards for different vehicle types are met.

Accredited inspection stations display a sign indicating the types of inspections they’re authorised to perform:

Image of eSafety Check logo
eSafety Check logo
Image of Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station logo
Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station logo

Information for vehicle examiners and AIS station proprietors

If you're a vehicle examiner or AIS station proprietor, or you're interested in becoming accredited, please see Vehicle examiners and certifiers.

Heavy vehicle inspections

For information about inspections for heavy vehicles, see Heavy vehicle registration.

J and P code heavy vehicle modifications and registration

From 21 July the New South Wales Roads and Maritime Services has applied a grace period for J and P code modifications until 10 February 2015.

A heavy vehicle J code modification includes simple body mountings and a P code modification includes tow coupling, fifth wheel and king pin installations.

Before the introduction of the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) on 10 February 2014, simple J and P code modifications did not require certification in New South Wales.

Concerns were raised that the current qualified licensed heavy vehicle certifiers in New South Wales may not be able to satisfy the volume of J and P modification certifications required under the HVNL. Whilst the grace period is in place, J and P code modifications certified in any other jurisdiction with the corresponding plate/ label and certificate will be accepted for registration in New South Wales.

In New South Wales administrative arrangements have been put in place that will allow heavy vehicles with uncertified J and P code modifications to be registered.  Similar arrangements exist in the Australian Capital Territory and Victoria. These arrangements will cease at the end of the grace period on 10 February 2015.

The grace period will allow New South Wales time to develop and implement a suitable scheme to provide  for the certification of J and P code modifications.

If transferring registration to Queensland or South Australia a heavy vehicle which has had a modification which has not been plated/ labelled and does not have a certificate will require the modification to be certified before it can be registered in those jurisdictions.
For information on the how to comply with these administrative requirements please contact the AVE Scheme Administrator at:

Contact: AVE Scheme Administrator
Phone 1300 336 206

Crane inspections

For information about inspections for cranes, see Heavy vehicle registration.

Modified and non-standard vehicles – VSCCS

If you’ve made significant modifications to your vehicle, or you have a non-standard or personally imported vehicle, you’ll need to have it inspected by a licensed certifier under the Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS).

Under the VSCCS, modified and non-standard vehicles are assessed to make sure they comply with legislated vehicle standards. Vehicles that comply with the standards and do not pose a safety risk are issued with a VSCCS Compliance Certificate. You’ll need to provide the Compliance Certificate before you can apply for NSW registration, or renew an existing registration.

How do I know if my vehicle needs a VSCCS Compliance Certificate?

See Modified and non-standard vehicles for information.

Information for licensed certifiers

See Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme.

Public weighbridges

For locations and information about public weighbridges, see the National Measurement Institute website.

Share this page: