Sober Driver Program

The Sober Driver Program is a therapeutic group program that specialises in changing the attitudes and behaviours of repeat and high risk drink drive offenders.

You are required to complete the Sober Driver Program if you have been convicted of a high range, repeat or other serious drink driving offence on or after 1 February 2015 and the Court has given you an Interlock exemption order.

What is an Interlock exemption order?

An Interlock exemption order means you are exempt from the requirement to complete a minimum period of participation in the Interlock program, under the NSW Mandatory Alcohol Interlock Program.

Instead, you will be required to complete:

  • A licence disqualification period; and
  • The Sober Driver Program, at your cost, before you can apply for your licence to return to driving.

What is the Sober Driver Program?

The Sober Driver Program is delivered as one full day session (six hours) per week for three consecutive weeks. It includes 18 hours of group work plus two hours of take home tasks, totalling 20 hours.

Each of the three program days must be attended in sequence to successfully complete the program.

The Sober Driver Program will help you:

  • Understand the consequences of drink driving to yourself and others
  • Understand the events and decisions that led to your offence
  • Create and use strategies to prevent you from offending again
  • Develop skills and positive attitudes for safe driving.

How do I register for the Sober Driver Program?

If you have an Interlock exemption order

If you have an Interlock exemption order, but do not have a court supervisory order, you must register your requirement to complete the Sober Driver Program through the MTS Sober Driver Program website.

If you have an Interlock exemption order with a court supervisory order

The court may issue you with a supervisory order in addition to an Interlock exemption order.

If you have a court supervisory order, you can complete the Sober Driver Program through Corrective Services NSW. You should contact your local Community Corrections Office as soon as you receive your ‘Advice of Disqualification, Cancellation of Licence and Requirement to Undergo the Drink Driver Education Program’ letter issued by Roads and Maritime Services.

When attending a Sober Driver Program delivered by Corrective Services, you must inform your facilitator that you require a Roads and Maritime Services Certificate of Completion.

Share this page: