Tourists and visitors

Sydney motorways

There are more than 160 km of connected motorways for motorists travelling in and around Sydney. Most of the motorways on Sydney’s orbital network are toll roads, meaning you have to pay a toll to use them. All tollroads are cashless, meaning that you’ll need to arrange a tag or pass before you travel. Find out more... 

Paying tolls

The following Roads and Maritime Services tolling products are ideal for tourists and visitors. The best product for you depends on how long you plan to visit and how much you plan to drive.

  • Roads and Maritime Services E-Toll pass
    If you are visiting Sydney for a few days and only plan to drive occasionally, you can register for a Roads and Maritime Services E-Toll pass to pay any toll roads in NSW. Find out more... 
  • Roads and Maritime Services short-term tag
    If you're visiting Sydney and plan to drive frequently, Roads and Maritime Services short term tag may be your best cashless payment option. You can use the short term tag on any motorway throughout Australia as often as you need. Find out more... 

Interstate tags

Interstate tourists and visitors can use their Interstate electronic tags on NSW toll roads.All Australian tags are interoperable, meaning that you can pay for your tolls on NSW tollroads with an interstate tag.

Rental cars

If you’re hiring a car to get around the eastern states of Australia it’s likely you’re going to drive on one of the numerous motorways in Sydney, Brisbane and Victoria.

Roads and Maritime Services has developed partnerships with rental vehicle companies Avis, Budget, Europcar and Thrifty to provide a tolling solution in all their rental vehicles so that you can pay your tolls automatically. When you pick up your rental vehicle you will be ready to drive on any toll road in Australia. Find out more...

International tourists and visitors

International tourists and visitors driving in New South Wales must observe the licence requirements for visitors. You must carry your licence with you when you are driving and there is an on-the-spot fine for not having your licence with you. Your licence must be written in English or, if the licence is not in English, carry an English translation or an International Driving Permit.

The following links provide more information on driving in NSW and Australia:

Driving in NSW 

Traffic signs 

Give way rules 


Licensing requirements for international visitors

If you are not an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia you are considered to be a temporary overseas visitor. Temporary overseas visitors include:

  • Tourists.
  • Business people on limited duration visits.
  • People studying or working temporarily (eg working visa holders) in NSW.

Note: Special arrangements apply for New Zealand citizens. Find out more… 

If you are a temporary overseas visitor and hold a current overseas driver licence, you do not have to get a NSW driver licence. You can drive on your current overseas licence as long as:

  • You remain a visitor.
  • You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or elsewhere.
  • You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled, or your visiting driver privileges withdrawn.

Find out more... 

Public transport

The Transport Infoline website provides up-to-date information on train, bus and ferry travel in an area spanning Port Stephens in the North, Scone and Dungog in the Hunter, Bathurst in the West, Goulburn in the Southern Highlands, Bomaderry in the South and Sydney in the East.