How to apply - Mobility Parking Scheme

The Mobility Parking Scheme (MPS) is designed to help people with genuine mobility disabilities and is not simply for convenience. You should only apply for an MPS permit if you genuinely need one.

The links in the menu at the left of this page provide detailed information about the photo, medical certificate and proof of identity requirements when applying for an MPS permit.


Plan ahead – your card may be posted to you

We’re changing the way we print and issue photocards. At certain locations, when you apply for or renew a mobility parking card, your card will be posted to you at no extra cost.

RMS sends you a renewal notice around six weeks in advance of your mobility parking card’s expiry date, so you have plenty of time to plan ahead.

See Centralised photocard printing for more information.

To apply for a permit you need to:

  • Download and complete an MPS application form (or pick one up from a motor registry). 
  • Have the medical certificate on the application form signed by a medical doctor confirming that you meet the eligibility criteria.

    • If you have a Clinically Recognisable Disability (CRD) recorded by Roads and Maritime Services, you do not need a fresh medical certificate to renew your MPS permit. See Clinically Recognisable Disabilities for more information.
    • When applying for an Individual MPS permit the medical certificate is valid for up to six months from the date the medical practitioner signed the form. The medical certificate for a Temporary MPS permit is valid for up to three months from the date the medical practitioner signs the form.
  • If you also hold a driver/rider licence and Roads and Maritime Services has not already been notified of any medical condition on your licence, you may need to have the medical report section on the application form completed by a medical doctor. See Fitness to drive for more information.
  • Attend a motor registry in person. If you are entitled to a photo exemption, a representative may attend. See Photo requirements for more information.
  • Provide acceptable proof of identity documents of yourself and those of any representative. See Proof of identity for more information.
  • Pay the applicable fee. If you are eligible for a concession you will need to provide proof of your eligibility, for example a concession entitlement card.
  • Hand in any existing MPS permit you already hold.