Illawarra benefits from NSW budget
Tuesday, 19 June 2018
The people of Illawarra are big beneficiaries of NSW Budget 2018 with funding continuing to flow for schools, hospitals, roads and rail.
The Budget continues to invest in healthcare and schools, while promoting economic growth by investing in vital tourism infrastructure.
Other highlights from the 2018-19 Budget include:
- $880 million investment in technology improvement across the rail network including the T4 Illawarra Line which will boost the number of trains that can use the line by up to 30 per cent once completed;
- $101.0 million in 2018-19 to commence construction of the Berry to Bomaderry upgrade;
- $70 million in 2018-19 of a $171 million investment to deliver an additional 360 beds at the existing South Coast Correctional Centre at Nowra. The expansion is expected to create around 120 new jobs;
- $65.6 million in 2018-19 to commence construction of the Albion Park Rail bypass;
- $30.0 million in 2018-19 to continue the redevelopment of Shellharbour Hospital;
- $15.3 million in 2018-19 to continue planning for the new Nowra Bridge over Shoalhaven River;
- $5.5 million in 2018-19 to complete Shoalhaven Hospital car park;
- $3.3 million in 2018-19 to complete Bay and Basin Police Station;
- $2.5 million in 2018-19 to continue the Minnamurra Rainforest Centre – Infrastructure and Experience Invigoration;
- Funding to continue works at Gwynneville and Dapto Public Schools;
- Planning future works at the Shoalhaven (Nowra) Hospital;
Quotes attributable to Member for Kiama Gareth Ward: “Having worked hard to deliver major investments in our roads which are changing the region, I am pleased the NSW Government has heard my calls to upgrade vital health services.”
“For 16 years in Government, Labor ignored this region. Be it hospitals, roads or schools, our strong economic management has meant we can deliver funds to the services people expect and secure the priorities our region is calling for.”
Quotes attributable to Member for South Coast Shelley Hancock: “This is another budget which delivers for our local community, with over $1.5 billion secured for the Princes Highway and the exciting development of the Shoalhaven Hospital Masterplan. Safety on the Princes Highway is of utmost importance, with over $10 million secured for important safety upgrades south of Nowra, and funding secured to build the new bridge across the Shoalhaven River to improve traffic flow and safety”.