Applications for on-water fireworks or boating activities move into the digital age


Those wishing to hold a fireworks display, kayak race or water-ski competition on a NSW waterway can now apply to do so online.

Roads and Maritime Services Executive Director Maritime Angus Mitchell said Roads and Maritime Services assesses and ultimately approves more than 700 aquatic licence applications each year for organised events on rivers, lakes, dams and harbours across the state.

“As our waterways are a community resource, Roads and Maritime considers each application to use an exclusive section of navigable water and based on safety and compliance with the Marine Safety Act 1998,” Mr Mitchell said.

“An aquatic licence may be required for organised activities on, or in, navigable waters, including a race, competition or exhibition – regardless of whether vessels or equipment are involved – on, organised or promoted in any navigable waters.

“Aside from boating events, aquatic licence may be required for aquatic fun days and festivals, media launches or filming, fireworks displays, training events, seaplane activity.

“Until now, those lodging an application for an aquatic licence were required to print out a form manually, fill it out and submit it to Service NSW who in turn lodged it with Roads and Maritime, along with supporting documents. This was cumbersome, time consuming and led to inconsistencies and confusion among applicants.

“Now it is possible to complete the whole process online, which will reduce the risk of lost applications, simplify the application process for customers, reduce the time from submission to processing, reduce the number of incomplete applications and reduce environmental waste.

“The new aquatic licence application form is now live across the Roads and Maritime, Service NSW and OneGov websites. Recent aquatic licence licensees have been notified in writing of this initiative.

“Manual applications will continue to be accepted for a short time,” Mr Mitchell said.

Inquiries about aquatic licence applications can be made to Roads and Maritime on 13 12 36.

Aquatic licence application form is available at Aquatic Events Licences.

Media: Roads and Maritime Services

MEDIA UNIT  9462 6299        

Share this page: