Applying for a new Bus Driver Authority
Collect supporting documents
Before you apply you must:
- Check that you have held an unrestricted Australian driver licence for a total of at least 12 months in the two 2 years immediately before the date of your application.
- Get a National Criminal History Record Check
- Visit the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission website to find out how and where to apply for a National Criminal History Record check.
This check must have been done within 3 months of submitting your Bus Driver Authority application.
Note: Your criminal check must include all of your current names and also all previous names that you have been known by.
Attaching the criminal check to your Bus Driver Authority application will reduce the processing time.
If you are unable to arrange a National Criminal History Record Check you must provide 4 documents from the 3 mandatory categories as proof of identity.
- Complete the Bus Driver Authority training course
You will receive an Evidence of Training Certificate. You can submit your Bus Driver Authority application before you finish your course. Your application will be placed on hold until you provide either the original or a certified copy of your Evidence of Training certificate to Roads and Maritime. You have 6 months from the date you submit your application to provide this certificate.
For information about Bus Driver Authority training courses please contact:
- Bus NSW on (02) 8839 9500 or
- Into Training Australia on (02) 8859 0728 or email BDA@intotraining.com.au
- Intertrain on 1300 222 776 or email email@example.com.
- An accountant (member of a recognised professional accounting body or a Registered Tax Agent).
- A person listed on the roll of the Supreme Court of a State or Territory or the High Court of Australia as a legal practitioner.
- A barrister, solicitor or patent attorney.
- A police officer.
- A postal manager.
- A principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school.
- A medical practitioner.
- A Justice of the Peace (with a registration number in the State in which they are registered).
- A minister of religion (registered under Subdivision A of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961).
The certified copy must include the statement "I certify that this is a true copy of the original document". The certifier must also include their full name, signature, date, registration number (if any) and qualification or occupation which makes them eligible to certify documents, on each of the photocopied identification documents.
- Ask the medical practitioner to complete the Medical Assessment Form - Public Passenger Vehicle Driver Form
If you have any health conditions you may also need to complete a Medical Specialist Assessment Report form.
For more information please contact Licence Review Unit
Phone: 13 77 88
- Photos must be sized 65mm x 65mm of your head and neck on a pale background without hat or sunglasses. Passport size photos are not acceptable.
- Comply with the requirements on the Bus Driver Authority application form.
- This photo will be used for your Bus Driver Authority card.
Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions for how to get this record.
- Visa or MasterCard (fill in card details on the Bus Driver Authority application form)
- Electronic funds transfer (bank account details and instructions are provided on the Bus Driver Authority application)
- Cheque or Money Order (made payable to Roads and Maritime Services and attached to your Bus Driver Authority application)
- NOTE - cash payments are NOT accepted
Complete your application
Do you have these documents?
- Completed National Criminal History Record Check
- Evidence of Training Certificate (if you have completed the Bus Driver Authority Training course)
- Completed Medical Assessment Form - Public Passenger Vehicle Driver
- Medical Specialist Assessment Report Form (if required)
- Two (2) identification photos
- Record of five (5) years driving history (if required)
- Photocopy of your current Australian driver licence
If you have these documents then:
You now can complete your Application for an Authority to Drive a Bus form.
Use the checklist on the last page of the application form to make sure you have completed all the requirements.
Attach all your supporting documents to your Bus Driver Authority application form.
Please note missing information will hold up your application.
Do you hold an interstate Bus Driver Authority?
You may be eligible to apply for a Bus Driver Authority under Mutual Recognition.
Go to mutual recognition of drivers to apply for this BEFORE submitting a Bus Driver Authority application.
For information about where to obtain a record of your driving history go to Frequently Asked Questions.
Submit your application
Mail your completed application form and supporting documents to:
Roads and Maritime Services
PO Box 3185
Parramatta NSW 2124
Applications may also be delivered in person to a secure document drop box that is open Monday to Friday between 7:00 am - 6:00 pm. This drop box is located at the:
Roads and Maritime Services
Ground Floor, 110 George Street
Parramatta NSW 2124
Once we receive your complete Bus Driver Authority application Roads and Maritime will review your driving and criminal history to assess whether you meet the appropriate requirements. You may be asked to provide additional details.
Please allow up to 6 weeks for processing your application.
When your application is completed Roads and Maritime will post your Bus Driver Authority card to the address nominated on your application.
If you have any questions please contact Roads and Maritime Enrolment Services:
Monday to Friday between 8.30 am to 4.30 pm
- Phone: (02) 8848 8700
- Email: BusApplications@rms.nsw.gov.au
- Fax: (02) 8848 8797
Frequently Asked Questions
You will be notified in writing why your application was unsuccessful and how you can request a review of this decision.
At an Australia Post Office or selected retail outlets with a passport photo camera. Make sure you request a 65mm x 65mm photo.
Roads and Maritime will place your application on hold and give you six months from the date of submission to supply the missing information. If you do not provide the required information within six months you will need to submit a new application, supporting documentation, criminal history check and application fee.
You will need to contact the relevant state or territory government office:
- Victoria Vic Roads
- South Australia SA.GOV.AU
- Queensland Queensland Government
- Western Australia Western Australia Police Force
- Tasmania Department of State Growth - Transport
- ACT Access Canberra
- Northern Territory NT.GOV.AU
If you are from New Zealand and are applying for Mutual Recognition you can obtain your record from:
- New Zealand NZ Transport Agency