Renew or replace a Bus driver authority
It’s your responsibility to renew your driver authority before it expires. We’ll send you a renewal form (PDF, 400Kb) prior to the renewal date on your authority.
Renewing your driver authority
Driver authorities are valid for three years.
Roads and Maritime Services will send you a renewal form prior to the renewal date on your authority.
To renew your authority, you need to complete the renewal form then scan the completed documents on both sides and email to email@example.com along with a recent colour headshot and payment confirmation.
Payment can also be made through My Records or by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Please see EFT details below:
Account number: 170497
You must provide your driver licence number in the reference field of your financial institution when processing your payment. The receipt details provided by the bank must be scanned and sent with your renewal application so that we can confirm your payment before processing.
If you require a medical assessment when you renew your driver authority, Roads and Maritime will send you a letter advising of this requirement.
Drivers over the age of 60 and drivers with specific medical conditions such as diabetes, cardiac or neurological conditions must provide annual health assessments.
You must renew your driver authority within six months of its expiry date. If your driver authority is expired more than six months, you will have to reapply for an authority.
Replacing your bus driver authority
If your bus driver authority card is lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or you have changed your name, you can apply for a replacement.
You will also need to apply for a replacement if you have moved interstate or have moved from interstate to NSW.
To apply for a replacement, you’ll need to provide:
- Proof of your identity
- If you are applying for a replacement due to a change of name you must also provide supporting documentation from this list.
There is no fee for replacing your bus driver authority.
Replacement Bus Driver Authority Online Application
Things to keep in mind
- Read the important information and supporting documentation that is required before commencing the application.
- If you have changed your name prior to applying for a replacement Bus Driver Authority card you must change the name on your driver licence first. You will also need to have received your replacement driver licence in the mail as you will need to enter details from the new card to proceed with the application.
- Your application cannot be saved to continue at a later date.
- You must have a valid email address. If you do not have a valid email address, create one before commencing the application.
- Have your supporting documentation and photos in the correct format (see the What you will need section below), saved in a folder on your desktop for easy access.
- If your application is submitted successfully, you will receive an email message and a PDF copy of your submitted application.
- If you do not receive either of the above after 30 minutes of submitting, contact Enrolment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org and quote your application reference number or call 02 8848-8700.
- At the submission page, this will be your last opportunity to change any of the information you have entered.
- DO NOT click on the BACK BUTTON or close the window once you reach the confirm payment details page. Clicking Back will cause all details you have entered to be lost and you will be directed back to the start of the application, requiring you to submit a new application. This is a measure in place to protect your personal data.
What you will need
- If you don't hold a valid NSW driver licence you will need to upload a digital photo unless your previous application was lodged online. Your digital photograph should be a recent, clear photo of your head and neck on a pale background without a hat or sunglasses. The resolution of the photo should be width 246 pixels and height 246 pixels. Photos should be uploaded in any of the following formats: JPG/JPEG/PNG/BMP/GIF.
- Copy of your current Australian Driver Licence (scanned as a PDF).
- Provide a photocopy of a Proof of identity document from Proving your identity - List 2 if you hold an interstate driver licence.
- A valid email address, e.g. a GMAIL or HOTMAIL email account.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG 2.1). If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
How to submit your application
- Click on the link below to complete the online application form (attaching ALL supporting documentation and digital photo if required)
- Answer pre-screening questions
- Answer all questions that apply to you
- Click on the ADD+ button to enter more information
- Upload your supporting documentation (in PDF format) and photos (JPG/JPEG/PNG/BMP/GIF)
NOTE: The below link is for replacement Bus Driver Authority cards only. To renew your Bus Driver Authority, you must complete the paper form sent out to you as the digital renewal application is still in progress. If you have not received a renewal form within 6 weeks of your renewal date, please contact email@example.com
Frequently asked questions
No. You cannot start and go back to finish your application on another day.
- You need to have a valid email address to submit an online application.
- You must provide all your supporting documents.
You will not be able to submit an application online without attaching all mandatory documents.
You should not submit your application at this time as it will delay the processing of your application. Your application will not be assessed without all of the supporting documentation.
If your supporting documentation is not in the correct format you should not submit your application as we will need to request the documents again, leading to longer processing times.
If you do not hold a valid NSW driver licence you will need to provide a digital photo for your Bus Driver Authority card. Having a photo on your card ensures we can identify that the correct, authorised person is in possession of the Bus Driver Authority.
A digital photograph can be obtained from any Australia Post or camera retailer that provides this service.
- Your digital photograph should be a recent, clear photo of your head and neck on a pale background without a hat or sunglasses
- The resolution of the photo should be width 246 pixels and height 246 pixels.
- Photos should be uploaded in any of the following formats: JPG/JPEG/PNG/BMP/GIF
- Selfies or photographs that have been cropped will not meet the requirements above.
- You will not be able to submit an application online if you do not provide a photograph that meets these requirements.
This is a requirement of your application. You can create an account online (e.g. - Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook or Yahoo).
This is the number that will be displayed on the confirmation email.