Applying for bus operator accreditation
Under the Passenger Transport Act 1990, all operators of public passenger bus services must be accredited to be able to provide services legally in NSW, unless otherwise specified by Transport for NSW.
The Act mandates a fine of up to $110,000 for any operator who operates a public passenger service without being accredited by Transport for NSW.
Collect supporting documents
Before you apply you must:
- Provide two references of good repute:
You must provide two references declaring your good repute from two (2) people that have known you for a minimum of two (2) years. An employee cannot provide a reference.
Note: A qualified accountant who provides a financial viability statement for a person or corporation applying for accreditation as an operator under the Passenger Transport Act 1990 cannot attest as a referee to your good repute.
- Provide a financial viability statement:
You must be financially capable of carrying on a bus service and provide a statement specifying the number of buses that, in the opinion of the accountant, can be accommodated by the service you propose to carry out.
Accountants who can issue a financial statement are members of:
- CPA Australia who hold a Public Practice Certificate issued by CPA Australia
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia who hold a Certificate of Public Practice issued by the Institute
- The Institute of Public Accountants who hold a Professional Practice Certificate issued by the Institute
- Provide local Council’s approval and a lease arrangement document with a utility bill (e.g. Council rates notice or Water bill):
You must provide a copy of the approval from the relevant council detailing the number of buses that can be kept at the depot location address provided in your application.
If the premises are leased, you will also require a copy of the lease agreement and a utility bill from the owner of the property showing the address of the depot.
- Complete the Bus Operator training course:
For information on approved courses, please contact the Institute of Transport and Logistics Studies, University of Sydney
You can also contact them either by phone on (02) 9114 1837 or email at email@example.com
You will need to provide a certified copy of your Bus Operator Accreditation Certificate.
Who can certify your documents?
- An accountant (member of a recognised professional accounting body or a Registered Tax Agent)
- A person listed on the roll of the Supreme Court of a State or Territory or the High Court of Australia as a legal practitioner
- A barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
- A police officer
- A postal manager
- A principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school
- A medical practitioner
- A Justice of the Peace (with a registration number in the State in which they are registered)
- A minister of religion (registered under Subdivision A of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961).
The certified copy must include the statement "I certify that this is a true copy of the original document". The certifier must also include their full name, signature, date, registration number (if any) and qualification or occupation which makes them eligible to certify documents, on each of the photocopied identification documents.
- Get a National Criminal History Record Check:
- Visit the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission website to find out how and where to apply for a National Criminal History Record check.
This check must have been done within 3 months of submitting your application.
Note: Your criminal check must include all of your current names and also all previous names that you have been known by.
Attaching the criminal check to your application will reduce the processing time.
If you are unable to arrange a National Criminal History Record Check you must provide four (4) documents from the three (3) mandatory categories as proof of identity for National Criminal History check webpage.
- Contract letter - if you are applying for a Regular Passenger Service Accreditation:
You will need to provide a letter from Transport for NSW advising that you are in the process of obtaining a new contract or novating a contract.
- Proof of Identification:
A photocopy of your current Australian drivers licence. If your hold an Interstate drivers licence or do not hold an Australian driver licence, you will need to provide documentation from Proving your Identity.
- Pay your application fee by:
- Visa or MasterCard (You will need to pay over the phone by calling 8848 8700. You will then receive your payment receipt via email)
- Electronic funds transfer Bank: Westpac BSB 032-001 Account number 170497
- Please provide your name or your company name in the reference field of your financial institution when processing your payment
- NOTE - cash payments are NOT accepted and the Accreditation fee is NON REFUNDABLE
How to submit your application
Step 1: Read the information in the Bus Accreditation package.
Step 2: Refer to the Help Guide while navigating the online form to ensure you have all relevant documents ready.
Step 3: Submit your application online below, making sure that all the required documents are uploaded when you submit the application.
Frequently asked questions
- You need to have a valid email address to submit an online application.
- You must provide all your supporting documents.
You will not be able to submit an application online without attaching all mandatory documents.
You should not submit your application at this time as it will delay the processing of your application. Your application will not be assessed without all of the supporting documentation. Please ensure you have all required documents ready and saved to your computer before beginning your application.
If your supporting documentation is not in the correct format you should not submit your application as this will increase processing times. Please ensure you have all required documents ready and saved to your computer before beginning your application.
The processing time for a Bus Operator Accreditation is 10 working days, provided your application meets all mandatory requirements. Where we apply for a National Criminal History check on your behalf, additional processing time is required.
This is a requirement of your application. You can create an account online (e.g. - Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook or Yahoo).
A copy of your payment receipt will be sent to you via email once your payment is processed.
You will receive a copy of your payment receipt with your Bus Operator Accreditation certificate. If your application is refused, you will receive a copy of your receipt with the refusal letter.
You will not be able to submit your application until payment is made.
No. When making payment for your application, you will only be able to use 1 Credit / Debit card to make the payment.
When paying for your Bus Operator Accreditation online application by EFT there will be a period of time where the funds are required to clear through your bank. Enrolment Services are unable to process your application until the bank clears your funds and the payment is available to us. If paying your application by Credit/Debit Card, these funds are cleared immediately, enabling your application to be assessed without any delay.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG). If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.