Freight routes and rail lines across New South Wales currently impacted due to flood damage
As at 9 April 2021
Many key freight routes are currently impacted due to damage caused by recent flooding in New South Wales.
Transport for NSW is out on the network every day assessing and repairing roads to get them reopened as quickly as possible. Our focus is to prioritise safety for all road users, effectively assess the damage and re-open the roads and rail lines that will keep freight and customers moving.
For all real time traffic and route information updates, as well as for all Greater Sydney road impacts, please visit Live Traffic NSW.
Transport for NSW encourages all freight operators to check the Restricted Access Vehicle interactive map to determine appropriate alternative routes for their combination.
Please visit NSW SES for all current flood warnings and evacuation orders..
The current regional road closures are listed below, with information on damage and safety assessments. This page is updated daily, but please consult live traffic as well to plan your route on the day of travel.
Information is at 2.00pm 9 April 2021.
Oxley Highway - Mid-Coast Council
- The Oxley Highway is closed in both directions from Paddock Road and Gingers Creek
- Assessment update: Major clearing and repair works underway. Approximately 10 large slips and 20 medium-minor slips. Heavy machinery continues to be on site removing overhanging rocks and trees. Extensive works required. Extended road closure expected.
Waterfall Way - Bellingen Shire Council
- Waterfall Way is closed between Maynards Plains Road, Dorrigo and Boggy Creek Road, Bellingen
- Assessment update: Clearing and repair works underway. Approximately 5 large slips and 12 minor slips. Road was reopened on 8 April to light traffic only between Dorrigo and Bellingen, with sections operating as single lane under traffic control while clean up works continue.
Transport for NSW and council will continue to monitor the road, which may need to be closed at short notice should more land slips occur due to ongoing wet weather
Pacific Highway - Eungai creek
- One lane closed on northbound carriageway on Pacific Highway about 16 kilometres south of Macksville
- Assessment update: Assessment underway. Embankment has settled and looking at option to undertake temporary works to open the lane. Works expected to take up to 4 weeks.
Main Road / Cessnock Road
- Main Road / Cessnock Road between Avery Lane and Russell Street is now open to the public
- Assessment update: Cessnock Road has a 40km/hour speed limit in place at this location.
Nelson Bay Road - Port Stephens Council
- Nelson Bay Road is now open between Salamander Way and Frost Road
- Assessment update: Road is open with a 40km/hour speed limit in place at this location.
Bells Line of Road - Blue Mountains City Council
- Bells Line of Road is closed in both directions between Bell and Mount Tomah
- Assessment update: Initial assessment completed, investigations ongoing. Repair works currently underway. Check live traffic for latest update before travelling.
Bruxner Highway - Inverell Shire Council
- Bruxner Highway has now reopened between Yetman and Boggabilla
- Assessment update: Now open to all road users.
Carnarvon Highway - Moree Plains Shire Council
- Carnarvon Highway is closed between Caloona Rd, (Weemalah Turnoff) and the Queensland border (Mungindi)
- Assessment update: Currently still flooded. Awaiting assessment of damage.
Gwydir Highway - Moree Plains Shire Council
- Open to road users east of Moree
- Assessment update: Temporary repair works have been completed. Areas of damage remain with reduced speed. Drive to the conditions.
- Closed west of Moree between Goonal Rd, Bullarah and Gundare Rd, Bullarah
- Assessment update: Flooding subside but closed due to significant road damage at Mogo Watercourse. Currently under repair. Expected to open over the weekend.
Jenolan Caves Road - Oberon Council
- Jenolan Caves Road closed between Hampton Road and Duckmaloi Road. No access from Hampton to Duckmaloi Road
- Assessment update: Specialist contracts are onsite undertaking repair works. Expected re-opening to single lane traffic in around 2 months Jenolan Caves Road is closed around the Jenolan Caves Precinct. This includes the 5-mile and 2-Mile
- Assessment update 2 Mile: Preliminary assessment completed. Clean-up occurring on site, with further investigations occurring. Expected completion date late April.
- Assessment update 5 Mile: Preliminary assessment completed. Significant damage occurred and further investigations required. Extended closure expected, and we’re working to provide more details on the timeframe as soon as possible.
Kamilaroi Highway, Walgett and Brewarrina Shire Councils
- The Kamilaroi Highway is now closed in both directions between Myall Street Walgett and Goodooga Road, Brewarrina
- Assessment update: Awaiting assessment. Road is currently flooded.
Newell Highway - Moree Plains Shire Council and Narrabri Shire Council
- The Newell Highway is now open between Narrabri and Goondiwindi.
- Assessment update: There are isolated areas of water over the road. Crews will be in the area undertaking emergency works. Please drive to the conditions.
Silver City Highway
- Between Broken Hill and Tibooburra has reopened
- Assessment update: Assessment completed. Repairs ongoing
- Between Tibooburra and the QLD Border
- Assessment update: Open to 4WD only. Damage along road including washouts and silt deposits. Drive with caution and driving during daylight hours only is recommended.