Permits for heavy vehicle access

The Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) which took effect on 10 February 2014 provides for all heavy vehicle access permits to be issued by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR). Difficulties experienced by the NHVR in processing applications led to a change of arrangements for issuing some permits.

Prior to issuing a permit the NHVR must obtain the consent of each relevant road manager. The HVNL imposes a time limit of 28 days, on road managers in deciding whether or not to give consent to access and to determine under what (if any) conditions access will be granted. The time limit can be extended by up to six months if a route assessment is required or if the road manager is required to consult with a third party or determines that it is necessary to consult with a local government authority (council).

A road manager may charge the applicant a fee for conducting a route assessment. The access request need not be considered by the road manager until the applicant has paid the route assessment fee.

Permits for travel in NSW and permits for interstate travel

Roads and Maritime Services has been delegated by the NHVR to directly issue Class 1 and Class 3 heavy vehicle permits for journeys within NSW travelling on State roads. This delegation came into effect on 25 February 2014.

Councils and other road managers in NSW have been delegated to issue Class1 permits for travel on the roads they manage.

The NHVR is returning the Class 3 New South Wales delegations from the 17th of December 2018. Therefore all applications for Class 3 permits must be directed to the NHVR.

Heavy vehicle operators can lodge applications for Class 1 permits for travel on State roads within NSW online.

Applications for Class 2 and 3 permits and for any class of permit involving interstate travel must be directed to the NHVR.

For updates on the processing of your application for travel on State roads, contact Roads and Maritime at For applications made directly to a council or other road manager contact them for information about the status of your application.

More information about permits and obligations of both road managers and applicants is available from the NHVR website.

Share this page: