Pennant Hills Road regulation
The nine kilometre NorthConnex twin tunnel motorway is expected to open in the coming months. NorthConnex will provide a direct connection between the M1 Pacific Motorway at Wahroonga and the Hills M2 Motorway at West Pennant Hills.
The $3 billion project is being delivered by Transurban in partnership with the Australian and NSW Governments.
Northconnex will deliver faster, safer, more reliable and more efficient journeys for road users. It will also return local roads to local communities, improve air quality along Pennant Hills Road and reduce congestion and noise.
We will only be able to deliver some of the benefits of NorthConnex by removing some of the truck and bus traffic from Pennant Hills Road.
Changes to using Pennant Hills Road
When NorthConnex opens, trucks and buses (over 12.5m long or over 2.8m clearance height) travelling between the M1 and M2 must use the tunnels unless they have a genuine pick up or delivery destination only accessible via Pennant Hills Road.
Two gantries will monitor trucks and buses on Pennant Hills Road – in the north at Normanhurst and in the south at Beecroft / West Pennant Hills.
Cameras in the gantries will record the height and length of trucks and buses.
Trucks and buses (over 12.5m long or over 2.8m clearance height) which pass both gantries with the flow of traffic will receive a fine of $194 with no loss of demerit points.
View or download our Guide to using NorthConnex for trucks and buses.
Who can use Pennant Hills Road?
You WILL NOT be able to use Pennant Hills Road between the M1 and M2 (unless you have a local destination only accessible by Pennant Hills Road) if you are a:
- Truck or bus over 12.5m long
- Truck or bus over 2.8m clearance height
- A Class 1 vehicle up to: 2.5 metres wide; and 4.6 metres clearance height; and 25 metres long
- A Class 2 or 3 vehicle (which may currently be operating under a permit or notice approved to use Pennant Hills Road but will no longer be permitted once NorthConnex opens)
You WILL be able to use Pennant Hills Road OR NorthConnex if you are a:
- Truck or bus 12.5m long or less and 2.8m clearance height or less
- Truck or bus (over 12.5m long or over 2.8 m clearance height) with a pick up or delivery destination only accessible by Pennant Hills Road
- Recreational vehicle (eg. motorhome or car towing a caravan, trailer, boat or horse float)
- Light vehicle (eg. car)
- Emergency service vehicle
You WILL ONLY be able to use Pennant Hills Road NOT NorthConnex if you are:
- A vehicle transporting dangerous goods with a dangerous goods placard or sign
- An oversize vehicle operating under a Class 1 permit or notice approved to use Pennant Hills Road
Planning your trip
If you are a truck or bus driver, you will need to know your vehicle dimensions and plan your trip.
The warning sign 'No trucks and buses on Pennant Hills Road between M1 & M2' with length and height restrictions will be in place on approach to NorthConnex, giving you plenty of time to choose the correct route or lane.
If you are a truck or bus driver view or download our Guide to using NorthConnex for trucks and buses.
If you are a recreational vehicle driver view or download our Guide to using NorthConnex for recreational vehicles.
Working with industry
To ensure the road freight and bus industry can plan for the new regulation, we are sharing information well ahead of the opening of NorthConnex. We will keep you up to date with NorthConnex progress.
If you would like to register to receive updates on NorthConnex and this regulation please email us on email@example.com.
|Guide to using NorthConnex for trucks and buses||924Kb|
|Guide to using NorthConnex for recreational vehicles||840Kb|
To find out more about NorthConnex including the latest construction updates, videos, maps, and information about the project, visit the NorthConnex Project website.