Pennant Hills Road regulation
The nine kilometre NorthConnex twin tunnel motorway is now open. NorthConnex provides a direct connection between the M1 Pacific Motorway at Wahroonga and the Hills M2 Motorway at West Pennant Hills.
The $3 billion project has been delivered by Transurban in partnership with the Australian and NSW Governments.
Northconnex delivers faster, safer, more reliable and more efficient journeys for road users. It also returns local roads to local communities, improves air quality along Pennant Hills Road and reduces congestion and noise.
Changes to using Pennant Hills Road
Trucks and buses (over 12.5m long or over 2.8m clearance height) travelling between the M1 and M2 must use the tunnels unless they have a genuine pick up or delivery destination only accessible via Pennant Hills Road.
Two gantries monitor trucks and buses on Pennant Hills Road – in the north at Normanhurst and in the south at Beecroft / West Pennant Hills.
Cameras in the gantries record the height and length of trucks and buses.
Trucks and buses (over 12.5m long or over 2.8m clearance height) which pass both gantries with the flow of traffic will receive a fine of $194 with no loss of demerit points.
View or download our Guide to using NorthConnex for trucks and buses.
Who can use Pennant Hills Road?
You WILL NOT be able to use Pennant Hills Road between the M1 and M2 (unless you have a local destination only accessible by Pennant Hills Road) if you are a:
- Truck or bus over 12.5m long
- Truck or bus over 2.8m clearance height
- A Class 1 vehicle up to: 2.5 metres wide; and 4.6 metres clearance height; and 25 metres long
- A Class 2 or 3 vehicle (which may currently be operating under a permit or notice approved to use Pennant Hills Road but will no longer be permitted once NorthConnex opens)
You WILL be able to use Pennant Hills Road OR NorthConnex if you are a:
- Truck or bus 12.5m long or less and 2.8m clearance height or less
- Truck or bus (over 12.5m long or over 2.8 m clearance height) with a pick up or delivery destination only accessible by Pennant Hills Road
- Recreational vehicle (eg. motorhome or car towing a caravan, trailer, boat or horse float)
- Light vehicle (eg. car)
- Emergency service vehicle
You WILL ONLY be able to use Pennant Hills Road NOT NorthConnex if you are:
- A vehicle transporting a placard load of dangerous goods
- An oversize vehicle operating under a Class 1 permit or notice approved to use Pennant Hills Road
Planning your trip
If you are a truck or bus driver, you will need to know your vehicle dimensions and plan your trip.
The warning sign 'No trucks and buses on Pennant Hills Road between M1 & M2' with length and height restrictions is in place on approach to NorthConnex, giving you plenty of time to choose the correct route or lane.
If you are a truck or bus driver view or download our Guide to using NorthConnex for trucks and buses.
If you are a recreational vehicle driver view or download our Guide to using NorthConnex for recreational vehicles.
Working with industry
To ensure the road freight and bus industry have planned for the new regulation, we have shared information well ahead of the opening of NorthConnex.
|Guide to using NorthConnex for trucks and buses||2.68Mb|
|Guide to using NorthConnex for recreational vehicles||3.21Mb|
To find out more about NorthConnex including videos, maps, and information about the project, visit the NorthConnex Project website.