Centre for Urban Design
Transport for NSW is committed to achieving good urban design outcomes.
This means projects must:
- Fit sensitively with the built, natural and community environments through which they pass, in both urban and rural locations.
- Contribute to the accessibility and connectivity of communities by all modes of movement, including walking, cycling, and catching public transport.
- Contribute to the overall quality of the public domain and help revitalise areas.
Beyond the Pavement
Transport for NSW’s urban design approach for road and maritime projects is set down in Beyond the Pavement 2020, winner of the 2010 Australia Award for Urban Design.
Beyond the Pavement is structured into three parts:
- The philosophy and approach to the design of projects
- The procedures and urban design management principles
- The design principles illustrated by case studies.
The document includes appendices on inspirational projects from around the world, an urban design glossary and a reference for further reading about urban design.
Landscape design guidelines
This document has been prepared to guide the provision of landscape and green infrastructure in our road corridors. It is published as part of the Beyond the Pavement urban design policy, procedure and design principles initiative and sets down the Roads and Maritime Services approach to the design and management of planting and revegetation.
Guideline for landscape character and visual impact assessment - Environmental impact assessment practice note EIA-N04
This document has been prepared to guide the preparation of landscape character and visual impact assessments under Transport for NSW's environmental impact assessment (EIA) processes as they relate to the broader Transport for NSW Urban Design Policy, Beyond the Pavement.
Bridge Aesthetics Design Guideline
The purpose of this guideline is to help design teams produce bridges of aesthetic value. It outlines the approach to bridge design desired by Roads and Maritime Services and sets down physical principles of design that should be applied at the level of the whole, the parts and the detailed elements.
Policy, design advice & guidelines and frameworks
Detailed urban design advice and guidelines
|Tunnel urban design guideline||3.48Mb|
|Bridge aesthetics design guidelines||11.9Mb|
|Landscape design guidelines||6.08Mb|
|Noise wall design guidelines||2.04Mb|
|Shotcrete design guidelines||2.94Mb|
|Water sensitive urban design guideline||3.56Mb|
|Guideline for landscape character and visual impact assessment||5.1Mb|
Urban Design Frameworks