Traffic Control Training

Roads and Maritime has now incorporated nationally recognised training into its suite of training courses for traffic controllers and those involved in traffic management.

The implementation of a competency based training framework will lead to higher standards of training and a consistent approach to qualifications. All training and assessment programs will be linked to nationally recognised competencies.
The benefits of adopting a nationally recognised framework includes:

  • Quality training and assessment from approved training providers
  • A lead to recognition across all states and territories
  • Flexible training and assessment options
  • Easier recertification process
  • Tailored training and assessments

Registered training providers

All training organisations that provide traffic control training and assessments must be approved and registered. Registered training organisations can tailor training and assessments to suit customer needs.

View the list of Approved training providers.


As of 1 July 2015, the following courses are available:

  • Traffic Controller
  • Implement Traffic Control Plans
  • Prepare a Work Zone Traffic Management Plan.

View the Traffic Control Training Course Overview.

Replacing a Traffic Control Card

Complete the TCT – Replacement Photo Card Application form to apply for a replacement traffic control photo card for:

If your card has an error, such as incorrect spelling or photo, please contact the Traffic Control Training Unit on 1300 828 782.

Lodging your application

The form can be filled out electronically, however you must print the application form to sign and date it. Electronic signatures will not be accepted.

Submit your completed form and any required documents by:

Important: Change of Name requests require a certified copy of the documentation, therefore they cannot be lodged via email; you must post your application.

If you have any further questions please contact the Traffic Control Training Unit on 1300 828 782.

Have you changed your name?

If you have changed your name, you will need to mail (not email) the following:

  • A completed TCT - Replacement Photo Card Application form
  • Your original Traffic Control Card(s) with your old name
  • A certified copy of one of the following documents:
    • Change of Name Certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM)
    • Marriage Certificate. For NSW, Roads and Maritime only accepts Marriage Certificates issued by BDM. If you were married in another state or country, a Marriage Certificate from a celebrant or church is acceptable
    • Birth Certificate showing your name at birth and your new name
    • Divorce document bearing the name being reverted to Deed Poll registered with the relevant authority.

Who can certify my documents?

A photocopy of the original document must be certified as a true copy by a justice of the peace (JP) or notary public.

The JP or notary public must provide beneath the certification, their signature, the date on which the certification was made, state in which they are registered in and the JP registration number or for a notary public, their job title.

More information

For more information, please contact the Traffic Control Training Unit:

Share this page: