Cancelling your registration

Email this article to a friend
Cancelling your registration can sometimes be confusing, especially if it’s your first time.

One thing that you might not know is that if you choose to cancel the registration of your car, you can claim a refund on the unused part, though, obviously, you won't be able to drive the vehicle after the rego has been cancelled.

How do I cancel my rego?

To do this you need to go to a registry with:

  • Proof of your identity
  • A Certificate of Registration (if available)
  • Your number plate/s (if available)
  • A completed and signed Number Plates form
  • Signatures of both the registered operators are required if the registration is in joint names. If the vehicle is registered in joint names, one person may authorise the other to attend on their behalf
  • If the vehicle was written off, a letter from the insurer showing the date of incident
  • If the vehicle was stolen, a police event number. You will be given this number when you report the incident to the NSW Police Assistance Line or by visiting your local police station

When Roads and Maritime Services cancel your rego

Roads and Maritime Services can cancel a vehicle’s registration if:

  • The registration has not been renewed three months after expiry
  • A ‘Notice of intention to cancel’ has been issued and the matter has not been resolved
  • The State Debt Recovery Office requests the cancellation due to an outstanding fine default.

Notes for cancellation

Here are some important things you should note if you are planning to cancel your rego:

  • You have to claim a refund before the rego expiry date
  • Refunds are only available for the motor vehicle tax and are calculated from the date of registration cancellation
  • The registration fee is not refundable
  • Refund cheques are sent to the mailing address of the registered operator
  • A cancellation fee is automatically deducted from the amount to be refunded. If the amount refunded is less than the cancellation fee, then no refund will be made.