Commercial moorings

What is a Commercial Mooring Licence?

A Commercial Mooring Licence permits vessels to occupy moorings under a commercial arrangement. The licence is issued for a period of 12 months and is renewed on payment of the appropriate commercial mooring fees. Roads and Maritime Services conducts reviews to ensure the licence is used in accordance with the approved purpose.

A commercial mooring can generally be identified by a red or orange buoy and is subject to Commercial Mooring Licence Standard Conditions (PDF). Special conditions may also apply.

There are two types of Commercial Mooring Licences:

  • Commercial - available to legitimate marine type businesses
  • Club - available to a registered club or association (usually a boating or sailing club).

Commercial moorings are only issued to:

  • A business entity or person approved by Roads and Maritime as trading to provide approved marine type services to the boating public (e.g. boat repair, marinas, commercial fishing, charter vessels, boat brokerage, mooring contractor)
  • Any other business which cannot be accessed by means other than water ie there is no land access.

Transferring a Commercial Mooring Licence

Some Licences may be transferable on sale of the business, subject to Roads and Maritime approval and any other statutory or legal requirements. You will need to confirm this with Roads and Maritime.

Mooring apparatus

Any costs associated with the purchase, installation and servicing of mooring apparatus are your responsibility.  On cancellation, you’ll need to remove the apparatus from the seabed.

Mooring buoys

Mooring marker buoys must be orange in colour and clearly displayed at all times. The issued mooring licence number should be written in characters at least 50mm high. Roads and Maritime recommends that you use one of the commercially available buoys supplied by ship chandlers or mooring contractors.

Mooring maintenance

Moorings must be adequately maintained, so that they remain able to secure your vessel in the worst conditions.

To ensure your mooring is installed correctly, Roads and Maritime recommends you engage an experienced mooring contractor and use only quality materials. To ensure it remains in good condition, the mooring apparatus must be serviced every 12 months or more frequently if it is subject to specific mooring conditions.

Failure to maintain your mooring apparatus in good condition may result in mooring failure and your vessel going adrift, with very expensive consequences. Penalties may also apply in this situation.

Proof of mooring service must be produced to Roads and Maritime on request.

Failure to service your mooring may result in cancellation of your Commercial Mooring Licence and your liability insurance may become null and void.

How to apply for a Commercial Mooring Licence

When applying for a Commercial Mooring Licence, you’ll need to:

  • Provide a completed Application for Commercial Mooring Licence
  • Provide a copy of your Certificate of Registration of Business Name or Certificate of Incorporation. Sole traders and partnerships without a registered business name must provide a copy of the ABN Advice Certificate or Statutory Declaration stating the nature of their business. The licence must be issued in the name of the sole trader or one of the partners
  • Provide on business letterhead, a detailed description of your proposed usage of the mooring site and any associated shore-based facilities ie land based marine facilities and services
  • Provide proof of identity for both your business entity and nominated representative. See Proving your identity for more information
  • Comply with current planning control instruments
  • Pay the appropriate mooring fees.

Priority Waiting Lists

Priority Waiting Lists exist for each designated mooring area where mooring sites are not immediately available. These lists have been developed to ensure fair and equitable access for all users.

Change of details

Roads and Maritime must be advised if there is any change to your contact details - address, phone/mobile, email etc - specified in a licence or related to any of the licence conditions, at least seven days before the proposed change occurs.

This will ensure all correspondence is sent to the correct address, and that Roads and Maritime can contact you should there be a problem with your vessel or mooring.

Share this page: